ADVERTISEMENT

I am sure I am the only one who feels this way, and I understand why.

doneagain

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2004
My parent's basement
Cincinnati, USF, and UConn.

I fear the B12 is gonna sit on its thumb too long and those three will be the teams we end up getting to join.

Honestly though, at this point, I would take them. It isn't that they are even in my top 15 choices for expansion, but to have some time zone friendly conference games would be nice. Not a reason to expand, I know.

Bring in Cincy, UConn, USF and oh, I don't know................... I guess UCF too so USF would have a travel partner, and call it a day. Like the B10, SEC and ACC, we would have 14 teams.

I am just really tired of expansion crap. It was fun for a while, but the drag-it-out style that conferences use to grow has worn me down. Just take who you are going to take and get it over with.

Screw FSU, Clemson, and all the rest of the ACC teams.

Let the B10 take UVA, UNC, GT & Duke.

Let the SEC take VT & NC State.

Then let FSU and Clemson rot with the rest of the ACC leftovers.

Reward the teams the ACC left to die in the Big East, Cincy, UConn, USF and UCF, by bringing them into the B12. Not sexy choices at all, but they would appreciate being given a life line. They also bring in 4 top 35 TV markets. It helps the Big 12 & WVU's exposure in Florida for recruiting. And Cincy and UConn are quality basketball programs to add to an overall average basketball league.

I am certain no one will agree with me, and tomorrow I will probably wonder what I was thinking by posting this, but I just want all this crap over with.

Totally disagree. We have to wait to see what the Big 10 does. I much prefer the FSU, Clemson, Pitt & Louisville - than your choices of UConn, Cincy, USF and UCF (if we have to take those - I would substitute BYU in place of UCF. That works better for divisions.

With the geographic location of most of the BIG 12 it will be more difficult to lure teams to the league.

Money is also a major factor--in order for schools in the BIG 12 to desire to expand its necessary to add teams that add lots of money--enough so existing schools don't lose anything in the deal. As they've told us very few teams do this.

Probably Notre Dame, FSU--schools like that. It isn't even clear if Miami, Clemson, GT, or similar schools would bump up the deal so that it would make expansion worthwhile.

Another thing to consider--WVU isn't getting a full share for 4 years. Right now they are at 50% escalating up to a full payout by their 5th year in the league. TCU has some sort of similar deal. The question is--these schools already being league members, how do you bring in new members who are making a certain amount of money (around $13 million last year from ACC tv contract plus a couple million more for bowls and NCAA payouts) and pay them more than WVU and/ or TCU? You are creating major problems in the league if you do--so it might be necessary to wait a certain number of years to add schools so that WVU and TCU aren't behind any new additions as the new teams gradually "buy in" to the league. i.e. an FSU is going to have to make more money than they do now (whenever now is) in order to be lured over.

The BIG 12 won't just bring teams over if it harms schools financially.

Woody I agree with you. It will happen and it's just a matter of when. West Virginia needs more teams from the east and if that does happen then everyone wins.

You know, as I figured, today I have changed my mind some, but I am still sick of expansion. I admit that I enjoyed it for a while, but now I just want the B10 to quit jerking everyone around and announce their plans. I know they are waiting on Maryland, but I just don't have the patience for it anymore.

And I get tired of hearing FSU fans turn their noses up at joining the B10 as if they are on par nationally with the truly elite schools of the country and can pick their destiny. They aren't even the top school in their own state.

I would find it funny to see the B10, SEC, and B12 all turn their nose up at FSU after the ACC has been decimated and leave them in the Big East 3.0 with Memphis, Temple and Tulane. I know it won't happen, but it would be funny.

Just tired. I want football to actually be about football again and not power plays among conferences. It sucks that century long traditions are being abandoned for a money.

I still want the ACC to die though, lol.

Originally posted by Woody in Helvetia:
Yes that is the smoke that the B12 is blowing up everyones rear end right now. When the opportunity really comes - the B12 will jump at expansion.

It is going to happen.
I don't think its smoke at all--its sound "business". They've always stated that they will expand if opportunities present themselves, but they haven't. They aren't just going to add teams to add teams and the Boise's, BYU's and Cincy's are not in the BIG 12 equation.

Excerpt:

"It hasn't been distributed to us that larger is better. There is no
empirical evidence that larger is better. In some ways, it's difficult
to appear to be doing nothing, when actually we are taking no members by
choice."

That's Bowlsby's mantra. Don't assume that the Big 12 is doing
nothing. The conference, he says, constantly surveys the landscape. But
the Big 12 is not interesting in expansion for expansion sake.

The Big 12 needs to make sure, he said, that "if we ever add anybody,
that they are of the ilk of the 10 schools and have helped all boats
rise. We spend a lot of time talking about conference composition."

What does that mean? It means the Big 12 is being selective. If a
Florida State/Clemson duo becomes available, yes, expansion works for
the Big 12. But Connecticut/Cincinnati or BYU/Boise State? No. - See more at: http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2013/02/27/big-12-football-bob-bowlsby-talks-expansion/#sthash.tzCm7lo6.dpuf

This post was edited on 2/28 8:18 AM by Buckaineer

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2013/02/27/big-12-football-bob-bowlsby-talks-expansion/

ADVERTISEMENT