ADVERTISEMENT

How hot is Mack Brown's seat right now?

firstdownWV

All-American
Nov 7, 2003
Is there any scenario where he is gone after this season? Does 7-6 get him fired? 8-5? A losing season? What's the benchmark or is he totally safe regardless?

He is not safe. I think 9-3 is the tipping point. Anything less and Texas hasn't improved from 2011, his second worst season at Texas. Diaz is gone regardless at the end of this season. The question is whether or not Mack gets to be the guy that fires him. If the Texas job is open at the end of the season all bets are off on who goes where and who is untouchable where they are.

Originally posted by TheRedSon:
He is not safe. I think 9-3 is the tipping point. Anything less and Texas hasn't improved from 2011, his second worst season at Texas. Diaz is gone regardless at the end of this season. The question is whether or not Mack gets to be the guy that fires him. If the Texas job is open at the end of the season all bets are off on who goes where and who is untouchable where they are.
Will be very interesting to see who they hire to place Mack, whenever that time comes.

I think UT losses at least one more, think he would be safe with 3 losses, unless the third is beat down. Think Petersen.Boise would be big candidate,if/when.

If it comes to it, their first call is Nick Saban, and they'll blow away his Alanama contract, maybe double it. I don't think he'd take it at this point in his career, but he'll be their first priority.

Peterson is a guy I've heard they like. I don't know if he's consensus #2 or not. After that I'm not sure what the rest of the short list looks like though. Maybe Strong, Briles, Gundy, Patterson... Something like that. Briles would take it in a heartbeat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT