ADVERTISEMENT

Hickman: More evidence that WVU’s move to Big 12 was the right one

wbgvwbgv

All-Conference
Nov 19, 2001
. . . . . .

It’s unfathomable to me that three years after the fact, there are those still arguing that the school’s move to the Big 12 was somehow the worst thing that has ever happened. It’s argued by those with a completely blind eye to reality.

. . . . . .

According to the NCAA, the Big 12’s share of revenue from the first CFP was $64,700,801. Of the five power conferences, that was just above the average. The Pac-12 made the most at roughly $69.3 million, the ACC the least at $58.2 million. The Big Ten was just shy of $64 million and the SEC was at about $65.6 million.

. . . . . . .

The American Athletic Conference lost almost $12.7 million from the last year of the BCS to the first year of the CFP. It went from a share of $27.9 million as an automatic qualifier in the BCS to $15.2 million as a Group of Five member of the CFP.

Even of the five Group of Five conferences, it ranked just third in total payout.

And that’s the pie from which West Virginia would have drawn its share had it not fled the coop.

All the facilities upgrades in the works now at WVU? Forget them. As a member of the AAC, which would have been the school’s lot without the move to the Big 12, none of that would be happening.

. . . . . .

http://www.wvgazette.com/article/20150520/GZ02/150529866

Must be a slow news day. All Hickman needed to write AAC (Directional Florida x 2, a bunch of city schools & Uconn with no football fans or following, and East Carolina) vs THE BIG XII (Everybody).

I love the Big XII. Best people. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anywhere else.

Must be a slow news day. All Hickman needed to write AAC (Directional Florida x 2, a bunch of city schools & Uconn with no football fans or following, and East Carolina) vs THE BIG XII (Everybody).

I love the Big XII. Best people. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anywhere else.
Was thinking the same thing, who writes that article? Next up, "more evidence that breathing is better than being suffocated".

Sadly there are a number of fans with "completely blind eyes to reality" (Furfari and friends) that are critical of the Big 12 affiliation. They are critical of the facility improvements, the necessary coaching changes in the olympic sports, the travel involved in a power conference, entrance fees, etc., etc.

The Big 12 is comprised of 10 great schools and the competition within the conference is at the highest level, but there are delusional fans who don't see it that way.

See following link: Furfari - WVU made a Big 12 mistake

http://www.journal-news.net/page/content.detail/id/603434/WVU-made-a-Big-12-mistake.html?nav=5022

Maybe this moron hasn't comprehended that Penn State, Pitt, BC, Rutgers, Syracuse, Maryland, and VT have all move on to new conferences that stretch from New Jersey to Nebraska; Miami to Boston, and West Virginia to Texas.

That article was as bad as Mickey doing his articles on why it was a bad move. The off season is going to be the death of me.

I actually know people that lament the days we used to play teams like Richmond. Seriously.

The move to The Big 12 was the best thing that has ever happened to WVU. Anyone who thinks different is just plain ignorant. People need to realize how fortunate WVU was to get an invite from a conference like The Big 12 and how fortunate WVU was to have a man like Oliver Luck running the show. My only concern was travel but WVU has taken care of that with ooc games scheduled against schools who are close to WV. I will take 7-9 wins a year in the Big 12 over 10-12 wins in the AAC any day. And lets not forget how great a bball conference it is also. Just a great move all around and I applaud Hickman for writing about it because it is the truth whether some people like it or not.

I actually know people that lament the days we used to play teams like Richmond. Seriously.

I'm hip! I have a buddy who had tickets from the late 60s to the mid 80s and gave them up. Said he liked it better when we won 5-7 games because traffic was lighter and he could more easily find a parking space.

ADVERTISEMENT