ADVERTISEMENT

Grilled shrimp?

brandonmartyn

Aug 29, 2007
Canonsburg, PA
Anyone have recommendations or recipes? Also tips on how to devein? Do you grill with the shell on? What temperature?

Unload your knowledge on me here.

Have done it a few times. Deveining is the same regardless if you grill or cook any other way. Cut down the back side and with the point of the knife, start lifting it out and pull with your fingers. Rinse under water. Put on paper towel to dry.

I use kabob skewers that are flat. Use two as you put the shrimps on they won't turn on the skewers. I suggest metal so they won't burn on the grill.

You can marinate anyway you want. I like it simple with a simple scampi type of marinade which is nothing more than butter and garlic. Grill over med-high heat until they are done. You cook shrimp by the look. If you have eaten shrimp before, you know what a cooked shrimp looks like. Doesn't take too long but that all depends on the heat of your grill.
This post was edited on 5/3 8:45 PM by WVUBRU

They actually make shrimp de-veiners, which is a long, pointy gizmo that is a bit curved. Metal or even plastic.

Remember not to marinate any fish too long. 20 minutes or so will usually get you where you need to be. And they are done when they puff up and turn solid white.

A little lime zest and juice, a little garlic, maybe a hot pepper diced up. Keep it simple, IMHO.

I bought some huge U-6-8 shrimp this afternoon

Left them in the shell. Took a sharp paring knife and butterflied them down the back like a rock lobster tail. Cleaned the vein, gave them a lime juice, salt, pepper, Hungarian paprika treatment and a spray of Pam. You could also layer some butter in them but I saved the calories. Put them on a piece of foil that had been cooking sprayed in a 350-400 degree closed gas grill for 12-15 minutes. Turned out delicious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT