ADVERTISEMENT

Former Manhattan DA explains reason why Trump wasn’t charged earlier in hush money case

moe

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Fayetteville, WV
Former Manhattan DA explains reason why Trump wasn’t charged earlier in hush money case

“Why didn't you charge the hush money case?” asked host Chuck Todd. “Why didn't you ever charge it in 2018, 2019, 2020?”

“[A]s I believe you know, I was asked by the US Attorney's Office in the Southern District to stand down on our investigation, which had commenced involving the Trump Organization,” said Mr Vance. “And as, you know, as someone who respects that office a great deal, and believing that they may have perhaps the best laws to investigate, I did so.”

But Mr Vance went on to say that he was surprised by – and apparently disagreed with – the decision of federal prosecutors not to pursue criminal charges against Mr Trump over the matter at the time.

“I was somewhat surprised after Mr Cohen pleaded guilty that the federal government did not proceed on the areas in which it asked me to stand down,” said the former DA.

The comments were surprisingly candid for a former prosecutor. Statements about internal deliberations leading to the decisions behind prosecutorial discrection are rare, even for retired professionals in the field. Much of the news about such deliberations in the current Manhattan case being headed up by Alvin Bragg has come in the form of leaks from individuals connected to the probe, which has infuriated Mr Trump’s legal team and led to more accusations of bias.

Reactions: bornaneer
7guszw.jpg

excerpt:
“The federal prosecutors and the Federal Election Commission that actually have jurisdiction over federal campaign finance law investigated Trump on this and decided not to prosecute him.”
The DA must prove not only that the former president falsified business records, which is a misdemeanor, but also that he did so to conceal another crime. “Legally, when the New York state statute talks about another crime, it clearly means another New York crime. Alvin Bragg does not have jurisdiction to enforce the federal campaign finance laws,”

This case is a dud, like most Democrat politicians desperate to remove Trump from the arena. 😏

excerpt:
“The federal prosecutors and the Federal Election Commission that actually have jurisdiction over federal campaign finance law investigated Trump on this and decided not to prosecute him.”
The DA must prove not only that the former president falsified business records, which is a misdemeanor, but also that he did so to conceal another crime. “Legally, when the New York state statute talks about another crime, it clearly means another New York crime. Alvin Bragg does not have jurisdiction to enforce the federal campaign finance laws,”

This case is a dud, like most Democrat politicians desperate to remove Trump from the arena. 😏
How do you prove a crime outside your jurisdiction occurred when the jurisdiction didn't prosecute it? I don't think they thought this through.

Reactions: atlkvb

“Why didn't you charge the hush money case?” asked host Chuck Todd. “Why didn't you ever charge it in 2018, 2019, 2020?”

“[A]s I believe you know, I was asked by the US Attorney's Office in the Southern District to stand down on our investigation, which had commenced involving the Trump Organization,” said Mr Vance. “And as, you know, as someone who respects that office a great deal, and believing that they may have perhaps the best laws to investigate, I did so.”

But Mr Vance went on to say that he was surprised by – and apparently disagreed with – the decision of federal prosecutors not to pursue criminal charges against Mr Trump over the matter at the time.

“I was somewhat surprised after Mr Cohen pleaded guilty that the federal government did not proceed on the areas in which it asked me to stand down,” said the former DA.

The comments were surprisingly candid for a former prosecutor. Statements about internal deliberations leading to the decisions behind prosecutorial discrection are rare, even for retired professionals in the field. Much of the news about such deliberations in the current Manhattan case being headed up by Alvin Bragg has come in the form of leaks from individuals connected to the probe, which has infuriated Mr Trump’s legal team and led to more accusations of bias.
Trump-Indictment_111.jpg

Here's the plain absurdity of this case:

If Alvin Bragg's case sounds like a stretch, it's because it is

excerpt
Hush money payments are not illegal. New York state law however prohibits falsifying business records. Normally this is a misdemeanor offense unless the fraud was done to cover up another crime. Bragg is reportedly going to argue that the hush money to Daniels was an in-kind donation to Trump’s presidential campaign, and therefore the Trump Organization business records were falsified to conceal this violation of federal election law.

...more

Former Federal Elections Commission chairman Bradley Smith wrote in the Wall Street Journal that Bragg’s prosecution is a perversion of the statute he is seeking to enforce. After all, there are non-election reasons — such as sparing his family from embarrassment — for paying Daniels hush money. What makes the prosecution even worse is that failing to properly report campaign expenditures is almost always treated with a slap on the wrist. A year ago, for example, the Federal Election Commission fined the Democratic National Committee and Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign for obscuring payments for a dossier that falsely alleged Trump’s campaign had colluded with Russia.

All they have to do is tie up the legal team. They are going to dump 3 on him in 3 different locations.

No they didn’t. The whole thing is a dud. Complete waste of time. Although his rats nest was looking perfect today.

• Haha
Reactions: Gunny46

This feels similar to Russian collusion 😍

This feels similar to Russian collusion 😍
Isn't it amazing how Dems bought and paid for a totally made up fake dossier that was falsely submitted to the FISA court with blatant lies about its origins and contents in order to justify illegally spying on the Trump campaign and WH and NO ONE has been indicted for any of it?

Reactions: roadtrasheer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT