ADVERTISEMENT

Five 2015 WVU football predictions

Chris from WV

Senior
Jul 5, 2002
I'm obviously excited about the Old Gold & Blue's upcoming season. After watching some of the Big 12 preview videos and reading recap articles, a few predictions have come to mind:
  1. Skyler Howard was not highly recruited in the state of Texas and has a large chip on his shoulder. I like that he has added motivation against the likes of Baylor, Texas Tech, and Texas. Howard will lead the Mountaineers to beat 2 out of the 3 in 2015.
  2. Although Shelton Gibson has received high praise from Coach Holgorsen, I predict Dakiel Shorts will lead the team in number of receptions, and maybe total yards. The stipulation is that Gibson is a deep threat and Howard has a gunslinger mentality. Gibson will be the recipient of 8-10 30+ pass plays this year.
  3. The "D" is back in the Mountain State. We have talent, we have depth, and we have a DC that will turn them loose more times than not. A significant increase in turnover margin and # of sacks will occur.
  4. Barring injury, Rushel Shell will rush for 1,000 yards. In an odd twist of events, the passing game at West Virginia will open up the running game in 2015. Smallwood will play RB and in the slot, will be in the top 3 at seasons' end in receptions, and will rush for ~500 yards.
  5. Two of West Virginia's wins will come in the last few seconds from Josh Lambert. Predictions for these wins are @ TCU and two weeks later hosting Texas.
Looking forward to September 5.

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
I think it is likely the D still sucks or is at best average. Tony Gibson is still our DC and we have no DL or pass rushing threat. Our secondary can only do so much having to cover guys for so many second.

I see your point, but I think Nwachu & Jefferson will be adequate on the ends. But more importantly, the blitz packages from having 4 senior LB's will cause havoc.

I hope so, but we need to hope those blitz packages get home or we could be in trouble. I don't know anything about Jefferson so I won't comment on him.

Either way, I see a 7-5 season. Lose all 4 road games and drop another to OSU or UT at home.

Our best record would be 10-2 with losses @ Oklahoma and @ Baylor. We "should" also lose @ TCU, which would put us at 9-3 which I would consider one heck of a season.

9-3 would be good I'm chalking up a definite loss @ KSU also. I don't think we will ever beat KSU as long as Bill Snyder is there and Dana is here. He has owned Dana.

Kansas State is supposed to be down this year . . . but to your point, it may not matter given Snyder's history and it being their last home game of the year.

Is Shorts still on track to make the switch to the outside? If so he will need to beat the some of the best cover corners in the B12...I think his height gives him a distinct advantage, and hoping he has the speed to burn out there...Howard will be relying on him huge.
The D imo should be solid, so long as they're not on the field constantly. ..alot of experience on that side of the ball now...
September cannot come soon enough...new season, new promise....

Quite a turnaround in your POV the last few months, Numbers.

Unfortunately I agree with your outlook on the last game at Kansas St. Even if they're down this season as many expect, Snyder always seems to be the worst mismatch in the league for us.

At this point, I'm pretty much expecting a near-repeat of last season.

From what I read, Shorts has made the transition to the outside. Howard already liked to throw his way late last year and I would think he'll rely on the sure hands of Shorts again.

Here is m prediction:
Georgia Southern =W
Liberty = W
Maryland = W
Oklahoma = L
Ok State = W
Baylor = L
TCU = L
TTU = W
Texas = L
Kansas = W
Iowa State = W
K-State = L

WVU goes 7-5. Plays a quality opponent in the bowl game and loses . We will upset one team we aren't supposed to (My prediction is Oklahoma) and lose one we aren't supposed to (I predict TTU). And I'm really on the fence about OSU. But I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to just having the same coaches in place for the first time in a long time here.

Here is m prediction:
Georgia Southern =W
Liberty = W
Maryland = W
Oklahoma = L
Ok State = W
Baylor = L
TCU = L
TTU = W
Texas = L
Kansas = W
Iowa State = W
K-State = L

WVU goes 7-5. Plays a quality opponent in the bowl game and loses . We will upset one team we aren't supposed to (My prediction is Oklahoma) and lose one we aren't supposed to (I predict TTU). And I'm really on the fence about OSU. But I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to just having the same coaches in place for the first time in a long time here.

I'll go with . . .

W Georgia Southern
W Liberty (we see Crest at QB late in the 3Q)
W Maryland
L Oklahoma
W Oklahoma State
L Baylor (but closer than the last time we played at Baylor)
W TCU (Lambert kicks a last second field goal to upset the top squad in the Big 12)
W Texas Tech
W Texas (Sellout crowd; electric atmosphere, Mountaineers win)
W Kansas
W Iowa State
L Kansas State (Mountaineers have a let down just before the bowl game)

Mountaineers will end the regular season at 9-3 in third place behind TCU and Oklahoma.

I don't think they'll suck. But if you think this defense is gonna carry us through the Big XII, then you are in for a rude awakening. Our d-line won't survive a season at full strength. They are average at best when at full strength. Add in lack of depth and the amount of load they have to carry through this conference and it wears on you. And these coaches will figure out the blitzes and start making us pay. Add to that the fact that we couldn't stop anyone who was determined to run the ball on us. I do think we will see improvement but we simply don't have the d-linemen in place to be dominant for an entire season against 6-7 quality teams.

I know he's only one guy, but the return of Kyle Rose will be a strength in the middle of the D-line. I'm hoping another year will help those like Brown and Nwach, and that newcomer Jefferson will contribute right away.

my 2 cents on football predictions for '15

Georgia Southern, W (1-0)
Liberty, W (2-0)
Maryland, W (3-0)
at Oklahoma, L (3-1)
Ok State, L (3-2)
at Baylor, L (3-3)
at TCU, L (3-4)
Texas Tech, W (4-4)
Texas, W (5-4)
at Kansas, W (6-4)
Iowa State, W (7-4)
at K-State, L (7-5)

7 Ws is 7 Ws -- this would include just 4 Big XII wins, but is realistic, if not best case scenario. If this unfolded, no huge upsets or signature wins. But also beating everyone you "should." Perhaps a somewhat quality bowl opponent & ever important 8-5 finish instead of another 7-6 mark.

Projecting reversals against OK State & Texas -- Cowboys stop us from 3 in a row head to head; we stop Longhorns from 3 wins in a row in the series.

November - specifically the Texas Tech & Texas home games after a brutal October - are the vital keys to the season & to the future of the current regime. My biggest concern is the team may be in a tough place mentally following a bad October. Will they show resolve to salvage November? For now I'll give benefit of the doubt and say yes. Maybe somehow competitive losses along murderer's row will instill confidence rather than doldrums.

I'd also peg Kansas and Iowa State as no ifs ands or buts must wins. Everyone seems to mark those Ws by default, but let's not forget 2013 just yet. No assumptions. Nothing for granted.

Aside from the OOC ass kicker games (MD is gonna suck this year so I'm counting them), Kansas, Iowa State, and Tech are 3 more (should be) gimmes. That gets us to bowl eligibility and I hope to split between OSU and Texas.

I don't expect to win any road games, sans Kansas. That gets us to 7 wins and the mediocrity of the program keeps humming along.

Three schools I just don't think we are physical enough to beat: K-State, Texas, and Oklahoma. Until we get physical in the trenches you can mark those up as a loss most every season.

Three schools I just don't think we are physical enough to beat: K-State, Texas, and Oklahoma. Until we get physical in the trenches you can mark those up as a loss most every season.
Interesting observation, and probably an accurate one considering we are a combined 1-8 v. those three schools since joining the conference.

Mine:
Georgia Southern =W
Liberty = W
Maryland = W
Oklahoma = L
Ok State = W
Baylor = L
TCU = L
TTU = W
Texas = L
Kansas = W
Iowa State = W
K-State = L

I think we could go 8-4 if we somehow grab a surprise win out of Texas, K-State or Baylor with some good breaks, but realistically we'll be hitting the glass ceiling and not breaking through again at 7-5.

Realistically, the threshold to have what I would determine to be a great year is 8-4. Anything better would be gravy.

I'm obviously excited about the Old Gold & Blue's upcoming season. After watching some of the Big 12 preview videos and reading recap articles, a few predictions have come to mind:

1. Skyler Howard was not highly recruited in the state of Texas and has a large chip on his shoulder. I like that he has added motivation against the likes of Baylor, Texas Tech, and Texas. Howard will lead the Mountaineers to beat 2 out of the 3 in 2015.
Not highly recruited usually means not as talented as those who were highly recruited. Always exceptions, but this is hardly a plus. Additionally, we don't know that William Crest won't be the guy as the season progresses. Injuries, screw-ups, Dana's impatience, etc.
  1. Although Shelton Gibson has received high praise from Coach Holgorsen, I predict Dakiel Shorts will lead the team in number of receptions, and maybe total yards. The stipulation is that Gibson is a deep threat and Howard has a gunslinger mentality. Gibson will be the recipient of 8-10 30+ pass plays this year.

Isn't Squirt still on the team? Is it premature to count out Jordan Thompson? I think so.
  1. The "D" is back in the Mountain State. We have talent, we have depth, and we have a DC that will turn them loose more times than not. A significant increase in turnover margin and # of sacks will occur.
Experience counts a lot. But you can't go from misfiring to Maserati without some serious mechanical improvements.
  1. Barring injury, Rushel Shell will rush for 1,000 yards. In an odd twist of events, the passing game at West Virginia will open up the running game in 2015. Smallwood will play RB and in the slot, will be in the top 3 at seasons' end in receptions, and will rush for ~500 yards.
You are far more optimistic than I am.
  1. Two of West Virginia's wins will come in the last few seconds from Josh Lambert. Predictions for these wins are @ TCU and two weeks later hosting Texas.
This may be the safest bet (the 2 FG wins, not necessarily the teams you named.
Looking forward to September 5.

We agree 100% on that. I'm wary till I see proof that I should be as optimistic as you. I sure hope you're far more right than my worrisome mind is allowing me to be.

Bring on GaSo, Liberty, Maryland and then the October Big 12 juggernauts parade!!!

Realistically, the threshold to have what I would determine to be a great year is 8-4. Anything better would be gravy.

win all 7 at home - which is improbable but not unthinkable - then win at KU - that's 8 Ws. possible 9th W in a bowl.

would love to see it, but right now it seems like wishful thinking.

I'd just like to say that I'm impressed that you've been here for 13 years and over doubled your post count in a single thread.

I'd just like to say that I'm impressed that you've been here for 13 years and over doubled your post count in a single thread.

There have been glitches in my postings after I went to Florida for 3 months. Maybe it's catch-up by the mods? :sunglasses: Good to hear from you. I value your opinion highly because it's often a light of sanity on a forum that has a paucity of such a trait.

Bring on GaSo, Liberty and Maryland before the October nightmare in the Big 12. I sure hope Dana has it figured out by now. I don't expect another Brother, but a Nehlen would be nice, or a Rodriguez (minus his leaving WVU antics).

What is YOUR assessment of WVU's chances this year? You usually are much closer to the scene than I am. I have to apply my old sportswriting skills from Ohio, which is tougher.

There have been glitches in my postings after I went to Florida for 3 months. Maybe it's catch-up by the mods? :sunglasses: Good to hear from you. I value your opinion highly because it's often a light of sanity on a forum that has a paucity of such a trait.

Bring on GaSo, Liberty and Maryland before the October nightmare in the Big 12. I sure hope Dana has it figured out by now. I don't expect another Brother, but a Nehlen would be nice, or a Rodriguez (minus his leaving WVU antics).

What is YOUR assessment of WVU's chances this year? You usually are much closer to the scene than I am. I have to apply my old sportswriting skills from Ohio, which is tougher.

Ah, I was referring to @Chris from WV ... 13 total posts since July 5, 2002.

I think the team has a shot at being pretty good this year. The defense should be about as good as we can reasonably hope for at WVU, and our LB/DB play should be fantastic. The season's success will depend on if we can clean things up on special teams and find some playmakers at WR. I'm pretty confident in Howard at QB, but we need him to stay healthy.

Ah, I was referring to @Chris from WV ... 13 total posts since July 5, 2002.

I think the team has a shot at being pretty good this year. The defense should be about as good as we can reasonably hope for at WVU, and our LB/DB play should be fantastic. The season's success will depend on if we can clean things up on special teams and find some playmakers at WR. I'm pretty confident in Howard at QB, but we need him to stay healthy.

Thanks, Mog. You're one poster I don't have to take with a grain of salt. I haven't ruled out William Crest yet. I really liked what I saw last season, particularly the giant strides he took on his touchdown run. That's hard to duplicate in another body. That may be why Dana is trying to figure out a way to have him on the field. He can cover a lot of ground in a hurry, and not just by being Tavon fast or shifty, but with his tremendous strides.

Wins
Ga Southern
Liberty
Texas Tech
Kansas
Iowa State

Losses
Maryland
Baylor
TCU
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas State

-- hard to imagine us scoring enough to overcome Big XII scoring and our penalty prone culture.

i still think our secondary is going to be out on an island if we can't get some kind of pass rush. i don't see anyone coming off of the line with a significant pass rush ability....

i hope i am wrong.

i think we can get 8 wins....maybe

md, liberty, ga south

texas tech, ku, iowa state

maybe wins

k-state and texas

Wins
Ga Southern
Liberty
Texas Tech
Kansas
Iowa State

Losses
Maryland
Baylor
TCU
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas State

-- hard to imagine us scoring enough to overcome Big XII scoring and our penalty prone culture.

I think putting Maryland as a loss is rather pessimistic, with all the problems the Terps will have in 2015.

Texas also may be a W, maybe even Kansas State.

That would flip it to 8-4. But I'm sure that you and I both are wrong in where we put the W and the L. That's college football.
That's why I can't wait for the season to begin.

GaSo, Liberty and Maryland should be 3-0. But going to 7-0 against the Ocotober Octopus Onslaught of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor and TCU may be a bigger mountain than the Himalayas.

I'd like to see more predictions like the first post in this thread.

They're always much more fun and offbeat than the conventional task of guessing which specific games will be wins and losses.

Here is m prediction:
Georgia Southern =W
Liberty = W
Maryland = W
Oklahoma = L
Ok State = W
Baylor = L
TCU = L
TTU = W
Texas = L
Kansas = W
Iowa State = W
K-State = L

You just predicted games, then went on to predict a different outcome than your predictions!! I'm confused!!

You just predicted games, then went on to predict a different outcome than your predictions!! I'm confused!!
That happens when you really have no idea what to expect from the offense or the head coach. The predictions I posted are what I think will happen. The alternatives are what could happen without me in total shock. And if that confused you, wait 'til you catch the fact that I said we can't physically match Oklahoma and pretty much chalk it up as a loss until further notice. Then predict that they're the team we "beat that we shouldn't". Fact is I look at our schedule and recent history, and there is no one that we can't beat if the offense clicks. Looking at the same schedule and recent history, I realize we will just flat out get drummed by a team or two that we shouldn't.

ADVERTISEMENT