ADVERTISEMENT

Firehouse Subs......

pacs life

All-Conference
Gold Member
Nov 23, 2010
Tried it for the first time tonight. I have seen lots of good reviews online for it, so I was excited and hopeful.

Got three subs- their two most popular according to the cashier- the Steak and Cheese, the Italian and also tried the roast beef, cheedar and barbecue.

I knew things were headed south when i saw them cutting the "sub roll" in half and then running it through a Quiznos style toaster while the meat and cheese went into some plastic type wrap and into a steamer. Watched the kid pour the meat and cheese from the wrap onto my sub and seemed like 1/3 of the cheese stayed in the wrap.

After I got to try the subs I would rate it somewhere between Subway and Quiznos. The roll was cakey and took up about 85% of the sub on both the steak and cheese and roast beef sub and on the italian, the meat all blended together and the Italian vinaigrette had a strange off taste. Even the pickles they served on the side had a strange chemical taste to them.

The store was clean, but for the hype I had seen online it was definitely way down the list on my sandwich or sub ratings.

If you ever go back, try a Hook and Ladder. I've had probably 50 subs from there, and every one has either been a Hook and Ladder or a Steamer (pastrami).

I'm with you--it's not as good as Quiznos, but it's a little better than what you described, so i'm wondering if that chick steered you in the wrong direction.

Or maybe just go to Jersey Mike's and get the big italian mike's way.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

The Hook and Ladder is my favorite. Definitely better than Subway but a bit over priced imo. If you live in Motown and want a good cheesesteak no need to go anywhere except Jersey Subs.

And speaking of steak sandwiches there's a little bar on Rt. 19 headed towards Mt. Morris called Stateline Inn. Do yourself a favor and go order a steak sandwich. Its not fast food so expect to wait a while but its worth it. Served on thick cut Italian bread I usually get mine with hot peppers. You'll have to eat it with a fork as its too messy to pick up. Shit is good!
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Re: Jersey Mikes.....

When Jersey Mikes opened in Charles Town a few years back they had great subs and that the only place I would get subs. About a year after they opened things went downhill. The bread was usually stale and there was about half as much meat on the subs. I even contacted their corporate office to complain but never got a response. They have improved somewhat but they are far behind King's and even Jimmy John's. Kings is by far the best, especially for the Italian which is mostly what I get.

Re: Jersey Mikes.....

Anyone ever eat at a Capriotti's. We stopped at the one just after the Bay Bridge on our way to OC this past July. Might be one of the best cheesesteaks I ever had. I wish we'd get one here in Motown.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

If you got the brisket and cheddar sub, and it wasn't good, they must have made it wrong. I love that thing.

I do usually pass on the mayo, though.

Re: Capriotti's.....

Yes, many, many times. My wife and I have been going to Rehoboth Beach for years and we usually will hit them in Lewes or Rehoboth Beach. I would suggest the Capastrami® Hot pastrami, Swiss cheese, Russian Dressing, and cole slaw. My wife likes the The Bobbie® The nationally acclaimed best-seller! Homemade Turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and mayo. I will say that since they have started franchising, the quality of their product has slipped across locations.

Re: Love King's. Definitely best around*

Where/what is King's?

I think Firehouse is slightly better than Subway. I would prefer Quizno's over those 2, but every time I find one it closes. I'd rather get a sub from Wawa or Sheetz than Subway anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT