ADVERTISEMENT

Finally took my kids for their first ever genuine Chicago deep dish pizza

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Spent a couple days in Chi-town for a vocal competition in which my son was competing; and we got downtown to my favorite pizza joint, Pizzeria Due.

Was told some time ago that this place changed hands, and that the pizza had taken a turn for the worse. Happily, that didn't seem to be the case; as I thought it was absolutely as good as ever.

To me, there's still nothing like a deep dish pizza baked from raw dough rather than simply assembled on a pre-baked crust as is the case with so many places anymore. Both my kids (and my wife) loved it; in fact, my daughter thought it was THE best pizza she'd ever had. As always, it was well-worth the 40 minutes it took to bake.

I realize true, fresh, Chicago deep dish isn't everyone's cup of tea; and I know it generates a lot of arguments with those who prefer thin crust. And while I admit I really like it, I don't think I'd want to eat it all the time. I just consider NY style and Chicago style to be different dishes; to me, both are good in their own way.

Anyway, I'm wondering what other joints in Chicago (and I don't mean the big chains like Giordano's, Gino's East, and Lou Malnatti's) you guys like for pizza; I spend a fair amount of time there and am always looking for new options.
This post was edited on 5/28 10:23 AM by COOL MAN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT