ADVERTISEMENT

RIVALS Fact or Fiction: Big 12 the nation's top conference this year?

I don’t think they answered the question as it was asked. You are talking about an entire conference, not which conference has the most elite team. If that is the barometer, then the ACC can claim it is the best conference because it has 3 titles in the last 8 years or so. The way I read the question, which conference is best, is which conference top to bottom has the most depth overall.

Now I don’t know the answer to the question, and as I have said in other conversations it is too hard to say this early in the year, but it will be apparent at the end of the year who can truly make that claim.

Having three titles doesnt make you the best conference. With the acc it means they have one or two good teams, had the easiest path to the playoff, and got beaten up less than other conferences teams.

That gave them wins, rankings and seedings for the playoff.

Meanwhile BIG 12 teams went through a gauntlet of tough teams in conference, playing a round robin then a rematch for the CCG, plus one or two other P5 teams OOC.

Top to bottom there isnt a tougher conference than the BIG 12 and they have a far better ooc record than the acc.

Too early to say however the often trashed PAC12 is doing best in the Top 25 ratings. If, "winning it all" matters then the ACC with Clemson is at the top with Alabama and the SEC close behind. The Big 12-2=10 not so much.

Big 12 far, far better OOC is because some teams in Big 12 play candy land teams.

Clemson is hurting the ACC more than it is helping it.
When you have a team that much better than the opposition it takes the drama out of the games.

SEC is still the best conference because it has 5 teams recruiting at a high level.

PAC 12 has 1 because USC dropped off but SC still has a Top 5 roster in terms of recruiting ranking

ACC had 2 but Florida St even with the sixth best roster isn't where it should be.

Big 12 has 2

B1G really has 1 but if you include Michigan and Penn State it has 3.

The SEC West is at a disadvantage no matter how great it is up until the point that they can steal all the recruits.
This is their plan but I don't think it will ever work.
SEC East outside of Georgia is dogshit.

Makes you wonder why the PAC 12 is gathering so much more attention and rating position than the Big12-2=10 mini big time conference? Most folks on our forum are constantly dire about the liberal, progressive, whinny left coast schools.

Last edited:
the issue is CONFERENCE not TEAM.

Clemson may be a good team, their conference is not the top conference, its usually ranked last or second to last of the P5. Alabama is in similar position although some years the sec west is very strong. Some its mostly hype-- but that doesnt make their entire conference of teams good. Besides, change up the artificial " seeding" and the MNC outcomes would likely be different anyway.

The BIG 12 has the best non conference record out of everyone and top to bottom is solid, More than half currently undefeated after non con play and several more with just one loss.

One team from the acc being good and artifically ranked high doesnt make their conference a better conference-- it means they had an easier time getting to the mini playoff and being seeded higher.

Fiction - SEC is the best.......every other conference is hoping one or two teams tote the water for them.

It makes for a great discussion and arguing among fans.

It’s hard to go against the SEC. but top to bottom the Big XII is close.
Except for us losing to Mizzou. Texas losing to LSU. And Oregon blowing a Won game against Auburn.

But see K State smashing M State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT