ADVERTISEMENT

Eer fans, how is you Basketball team at this point in the season?

chrisle

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
K-State played you early in Morgantown and escaped with a win. All year it seems like the Big 12 was the Big 6 and the Little 4. I just checked the standings and was surprised that WVU was 6-6 and only a game behind the 4-6 spot. Then I checked your schedule and saw that all 6 wins were against the bottom 3 and all of your remaining 6 games are against the top 6. What do you guys think? Will you win 2 or 3 out of the final 6 to finish with a respectable record? Or will the team struggle and finish with 5 or 6 losses? I can't imagine that we will lose at home tonight but you should have a chance in the home games. A win over OSU would be huge as far as the conference race goes. How do you see it ending up?

Is anyone still here?

Re: In spite of the bad calls in most of our games or without them

we are a frustrating team to watch play. I think the refs are dtermined we not play our physical Big East stye in this conference, and its all a learning curve and a hodgepodge this season....I'm happy to get an NIT at this point. Where we end up depends on our players and better officiating dowwn the stretch. Sonme of the calls are just ridiculous.

Re: In spite of the bad calls in most of our games or without them

K-State has suffered with the officials this year, too. We had a 4 game stretch where there were about 80 fouls called on K-State with only about 40 called on our opponents. It's strange because they won't call a foul for 10 minutes on either team and then they will call a hold or hand check on a guard.

Big 12 refs have always favored the home team in basketball. It is pathetic, and it keeps any of our younger players from building any kind of consistency with foul calls, and then we get hammered in the NCAA's.

When we were still the Big 8 I thought we got away with murder more often than not. That's no longer the case, and hasn't been for a long time.

We'll know a lot about how this thing is going to end by this Wednesday. I think all three of the top teams are a fairly safe bet for 14-4 right now, the question is where #4 happens for each of them.

Kansas and Oklahoma State both still go to Iowa State. I think the Cyclones get at least one of those two.

Kansas and Kansas State both still have to go to Baylor. I think they both win there.

And of course Kansas and Kansas State both still have to come to Stillwater.

I think we can win all of the home games left (can win...doesn't mean we will win)...we could possibly have a chance at OU.

Worst basketball team we've had since 2003. Has nothing to do with the Big 12. It is what it is. Recruiting for the past 3 years by Huggs has been abysmal. And I love the guy. I know he'll get it turned around. But right now this team is just awful. Terrible on offense & defense. They aren't even a great rebounding team, which is something you could always count on with a Huggs' coached team in the past (they're okay in offensive rebounding, but are terrible in defensive rebounding). I do believe Huggs will eventually get it turned around, but it's going to take 2-3 years unfortunately for WVU fans. We went through a really good period in football & basketball from 2005-2012, so I guess it's time roll down to the bottom of the hill again in both sports.

As for officials that ref in the Big 12 region, I've never seen anything like it. Last night they were all over the place for both sides. I'm surprised Huggs didn't get thrown out. On one play a player barely touches someone & it's a foul. The next time down the court somebody gets thrown into the crowd and the refs swallow their whistle. My favorite call was when a KSU player had his arms draped around Deniz Kilicli's neck at the beginning of the first half as he was going in to take a shot - they call an offensive foul on Kilicli. LOL WTF???? At any rate, if what I've seen this year in regards to officiating Big 12 games continues to happen I don't think I'm going to like Big 12 basketball. It just makes it so hard to watch. I liked Big East basketball better, where they let teams play within reason.

That was ugly, but you had to see that one coming a mile away. K-State and WVU are the two most physical, as in contact, teams in the conference right now, and K-State, at least, has been playing in games called like that since... Well, since Huggins was there.

It is time to do something about it. We don't pay to wath those guys blow their whistles, and we certainly don't pay to watch them do it in inconsistent fashion.

Yes, beat KU. It's my second or third favorite team to beat. We've had some success doing that in Stillwater. Would be nice to sweep them.

Just curious, as we've had the same debate countless times at OSI, at what point during this conference race would your preference for an OSU win over your rival change to "it's best for us, in this specific event, for KU to win?"

We have come to grip with the fact that we suck. It is what it is. No need to rub it in.

Re: I don't think the calls are the reason we are losing however

We have some disappointing players and some kids that look great, but can't win the games themselves. We will get Better...just not this year. We will make you Glad and proud to have us in the Big 12.

Originally posted by TheRedSon:
Yes, beat KU. It's my second or third favorite team to beat. We've had some success doing that in Stillwater. Would be nice to sweep them.

Just curious, as we've had the same debate countless times at OSI, at what point during this conference race would your preference for an OSU win over your rival change to "it's best for us, in this specific event, for KU to win?"
I don't care what the scenerio is. I always want KU to lose.

ADVERTISEMENT