ADVERTISEMENT

Carne Asada tacos

I use a basic marinade of lime juice and zest, orange juice and zest, cilantro, fresh jalapeño, olive oil and a bunch of garlic (salt and pepper of course) for several hours. A bit of Mexican beer can also be used for the marinade.

A trick I like to use for this or stir fry is to dry the meat after marination and dust it in just a very small amount of corn starch so it really gets a nice sear when browning.

A friend of mine will also reserve the marinade, reduce it by a fourth and then spoon a small amount of it on the meat before adding the pico and other stuff.

Do you typically use flank steak? I found a recipe from Aaron Sanchez before seeing your post. Basically laid the steak in a bed of pickled, sliced jalepenos for an hour or so before grilling. It was OK but I'm looking for more flavor. I'll try your marinade next time. Thanks!

was the flank tough? just me but that isn't enough marination for flank.

I should have included the cut in the reply but I usually buy a couple of strips, cut them down and then marinate and sear in a cast iron or fajita pan.

A well marinated flank or similar cut at mid rare would work well too. Do that camping all the time.

The flank was a bit tough. My girls (younger) had a tough time with it. I'll try the strips next time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT