ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 OOC lineup is pitiful

Tallmadgeers

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2015
Only 9 of the 30 non-conference games are against Power-5 schools.

WVU plays Georgia Southern, Liberty, Maryland.

Oklahoma State plays Central Michigan, Central Arkansas, Texas-San Antonio.

TCU plays Minnesota, Stephen Austin, SMU.

Baylor plays SMU, Lamar, Rice.

Texas Tech plays Sam Houston State, Texas El Paso, Arkansas.

Kansas plays South Dakota State, Memphis, Rutgers.

Oklahoma plays Akron, Tennessee, Tulsa.

Texas plays Notre Dame, Rice, California.

Iowa State plays Northern Iowa, Iowa, Toledo.

Kansas State plays South Dakota, Texas-San Antonio, Louisiana Tech.

Baylor, in particular, should know better since it was shut out of the national playoffs last season despite being Big 12 co-champ. At least TCU is playing Minnesota.

In the past that was true but most schedules are only three to hour years ahead now and teams like Baylor have had time to make changes.

He was talking about what happened 8 months ago. But in either case, the 9 out of 30 figure is meaningless without the numbers from the other 4 conferences.

Baylor, in particular, should know better since it was shut out of the national playoffs last season despite being Big 12 co-champ. At least TCU is playing Minnesota.
Sorry, Cuyahoga, but I can't agree.

Truthfully only the Oklahoma St, Baylor, and Kansas St schedules are weakly constructed.

Each of the other 7 schools pretty much hit or exceeded the typical modern-day balance with the OOC portion: 1 opponent from another Power-5 league, 1 respectable/semi-local mid-major, and 1 lay-up game against an FCS rent-a-victim.

That has pretty much become the standard template for almost everyone over the last decade or so.

The projected top 10 teams in the SEC for 2015:

Alabama: Wisconsin, MTSU, ULM, Charleston Southern
Arkansas: UTEP, Toledo, Texas Tech, UT Martin
Auburn: Louisville, Jacksonville St, SJSU, Idaho
Georgia: ULM, Southern, Ga Southern, G Tech
LSU: McNeese, Cuse, Eastern Michigan, WKU
MSU: SMU, NW St, Troy, La Tech
Mizzou: SE Missouri St, Ark St, UConn, BYU
Ole Miss: UT Martin, Fresno St, NMU, Memphis
Tenn: BGU, OK, W. Carolina, North Texas
USC: UNC, UCF, Citadel, Clemson

So, in comparison.................. the top 10 SEC programs face a combined EIGHT P5 teams out of 40 OOC games

This thread just got completely invalidated.

So, in comparison.................. the top 10 SEC programs face a combined EIGHT P5 teams out of 40 OOC games

In the past that was true but most schedules are only three to hour years ahead now and teams like Baylor have had time to make changes.

I think the Big XII has/or is addressing this. There is a greater emphasis on scheduling better OOC opponents but a 4 year out commitment must still be played or bought out. It's not a "cut & dried" scenario.

If you think the Big 12 doesn't play enough P5 schools out of conference then you haven't looked at the SEC or B10 OOC schedules. Every power conference school wants 7 or 8 home games a year and that requires playing schools that do not requirer a return game.

Last year Ohio State played Kent State, Cincinnati, VT, and Navy plus they lost to the only power five OOC school they faced (VT loss) and still made the playoffs. This year Ohio State plays Hawaii, Western Mich, Northern IL, and VT.

Last edited:

Thank you KC....I think you just detailed it quite nicely for him...

Maybe not.

SEC teams play FOUR Top 25 teams on ESPN's preseason rankings; Big 12 plays TWO. The ACC plays NINE, and THREE are NOT Notre Dame. The Big 10 plays FOUR. The Pac-12 plays SIX.

Those are games that will help separate one-loss conference champs from each other to make the national playoffs. The Big 12 again comes up short.

Reactions: pressvirginia

You are a moron. Can't believe you still get replies to your posts.

Kick roc
Schedules are made years in advance. You can't easily flip them on a whim.
why do people still reply to posts from this moron?

This boils down to CFE not doing his research before he posted and now he is going to go down with the ship rather than say he was wrong.......

You are a moron. Can't believe you still get replies to your posts.

Kick roc

why do people still reply to posts from this moron?

How about we compare verified IQs and the loser coughs up $10 for every IQ point below the other guy. I could take another vacation with what I win.

Attacking people personally is the hallmark of someone losing the argument. The Big 12 has an atrocious OOC schedule, even compared to the rest of the Power-5, and is being scorched nationally for it. But you just attack the messenger. I guess this board has its share of Tigranes.

How about we compare verified IQs and the loser coughs up $10 for every IQ point below the other guy. I could take another vacation with what I win.

Attacking people personally is the hallmark of someone losing the argument. The Big 12 has an atrocious OOC schedule, even compared to the rest of the Power-
5, and is being scorched nationally for it. But you just attack the messenger. I guess this board has its share of Tigranes.
CFE...you have been presented with plenty of evidence to suggest the B12 OOC sched is at least on par with several other conf members in the Power 5 on the whole...and this is no personal attack....If you can explain yourself further please have at it...however I wish you luck in proving it is some sort of cupcake cruise by the weak kneed...

Maybe not.

SEC teams play FOUR Top 25 teams on ESPN's preseason rankings; Big 12 plays TWO. The ACC plays NINE, and THREE are NOT Notre Dame. The Big 10 plays FOUR. The Pac-12 plays SIX.

Those are games that will help separate one-loss conference champs from each other to make the national playoffs. The Big 12 again comes up short.

So the B10 and SEC each play 4 Top 25 OOC schools (according to your numbers) - that is 4 out of 56 OOC games to be played. The Big 12 plays 2 Top 25 OOC schools out of 30 OOC games. Did the light come on yet. Is anyone home? LMAO

stupid.jpg

4/56 = 7.1%

2/25 = 8.0%

And you want to start yapping your dentures about IQ?

Just admit that you only focused on one piece of info to serve your agenda. Oh, wait, you did exactly what I'd expect from a former newspaper writer - dial-in on one item to serve your agenda and forget the rest of the facts.

And I'll take your IQ challenge - not to sound arrogant by I'd smash you into a pulp in that CERTIFIED regard.

..... Calls B12 OOC atrocious

.... Ignores fact that SEC OOC is worse

Ignores fact that one-loss SEC team will be in national playoffs over a one-loss Big 12 team and that the SEC teams play far more preseason Top 25 teams than the Big 12 teams, even when you factor in number of members in each conference. Hell, EVERY Power-5 conference has more Top 25 preseason teams on its OOC schedule than the Big 12. That's why the national media is mocking and chastising the Big 12 for its pitiful OOC schedule. It's not me; it's the outside experts who are saying it. Closing your eyes and saying "uh-uh" doesn't change facts.

Ignores fact that one-loss SEC team will be in national playoffs over a one-loss Big 12 team and that the SEC teams play far more preseason Top 25 teams than the Big 12 teams, even when you factor in number of members in each conference. Hell, EVERY Power-5 conference has more Top 25 preseason teams on its OOC schedule than the Big 12. That's why the national media is mocking and chastising the Big 12 for its pitiful OOC schedule. It's not me; it's the outside experts who are saying it. Closing your eyes and saying "uh-uh" doesn't change facts.

LINK to "national media mocking the B12" please?

Also, please don't come at this discussion with BS preseason rankings, k? They've proven themselves to be as worthless as a Mickey Furfari article.........

did-not-read-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308f.gif

LINK to "national media mocking the B12" please?

Also, please don't come at this discussion with BS preseason rankings, k? They've proven themselves to be as worthless as a Mickey Furfari article.........

It's difficult to link talking heads sports analysts. But tune in to Serius/XM satellite radio, which is where I'm hearing it in my car. The mocking and ridiculing is pretty pervasive. If I see it in print I'll be sure to pass it on. Preseason rankings is all I have to prove the point. You wouldn't accept 2014 rankings anyway because you would point out, quite accurately, than the 2014 season won't be a carbon copy of the 2015 season for every team.

It's difficult to link talking heads sports analysts. But tune in to Serius/XM satellite radio, which is where I'm hearing it in my car. The mocking and ridiculing is pretty pervasive. If I see it in print I'll be sure to pass it on. Preseason rankings is all I have to prove the point. You wouldn't accept 2014 rankings anyway because you would point out, quite accurately, than the 2014 season won't be a carbon copy of the 2015 season for every team. By the way, that's Channel 91 if you to hear the Big 12 OOC schedule trashed.

ADVERTISEMENT