ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Football: Evaluating The Newcomers

FBS college football conference rankings: Pac-12 closing in on Big 12

When West Virginia went to Lubbock, Texas, last Saturday and got Tommy Tubervilled by Texas Tech, some of the luster the Big 12 has taken on this season looked a little less shiny. Add to that Kansas State struggling against Iowa State last week and all of a sudden we were seriously considering moving the Pac-12 into second place.
11720275-large.jpg
Texas Tech Coach Tommy Tuberville and the Red Raiders knocked off West Virginia 49-14 to bring the previously undefeated Mountaineers down to earth.
Oregon and Oregon State are two top 10 undefeated squads, USC still has to be considered a national championship contender and Stanford almost went to South Bend and knocked off the over-hyped Irish.
Then the SEC.
K-State is obviously the league's best squad, ranked fourth in the Associated Press, third in the Coaches' Poll and fourth in the BCS. The Wildcats have their toughest test of the season this week when they travel to face West Virginia. Chances are the Mountaineers won't be held to 14 points this week, especially in Morgantown.
But watch Oklahoma, which beat the burnt orange out of Texas last week. Though the Sooners seem to fade in November, they could easily move up into the national championship conversation by the end of November if they keep winning.
All that said, the PAC 12 is on their heels. We'll see how things shake out after this week.
1. SEC
Ranked teams: Alabama (1 AP, 1 Coaches), Florida (3 AP, 4 Coaches), Texas A&M (18 AP, 20 Coaches).
BCS Top 25 teams: Alabama (1), Florida (2), LSU (6), South Carolina (7), Georgia (11), Mississippi State (12), Texas A&M (18).
Non-conference FBS record: 22-8.
The lowdown: No question, Alabama is the best team in the nation. But we're skeptical about Florida being second. For that matter, we're not sure they're a top five team. Chickens and the Ol' Ball Coach should give us a better reading when South Carolina invades Gainesville this week. All that said, SEC is, by far, the front runner in the conference race.
2. BIG 12
Ranked teams: Kansas State (4 AP, 3 Coaches), Oklahoma (10 AP, 7 Coaches), West Virginia (17 AP, 15 Coaches), Texas Tech (18 AP, 20 Coaches), TCU (21 Coaches).
BCS Top 25 teams: Kansas State (4), Oklahoma (9), West Virginia (13), Texas Tech (17), TCU (23), Iowa State (24), Texas (25).
Non-conference FBS record: 17-3.
The lowdown: Did you know every team in the Big 12 has a winning record except Kansas? And Texas Tech is quietly 5-1. The Red Raiders lone loss was to Oklahoma 41-20. But the next two weeks will give us more info on Tech. They play at TCU this week then travel to Kansas State the following week.
3. PAC-12
Ranked teams: Oregon (2 in both), Oregon State (8 AP, 11 Coaches), USC (11 AP, 9 Coaches), Stanford (22 AP, 23 Coaches), Arizona State (24 Coaches).
BCS Top 25 teams: Oregon (3), Oregon State (8), USC (10), Stanford (20).
Non-conference FBS record: 24-10.
The lowdown: This league has three legitimate top 10 teams with Oregon, Oregon State and USC. And, honestly, Oregon should be the second ranked team in the BCS, computers be darned. But we're still not sure about the bottom half of the league. Arizona State is 5-1 but, really, who has it played? That changes Thursday night when the Sun Devils welcome Oregon.
4. BIG EAST
Ranked teams: Louisville (16 AP, 14 Coaches), Rutgers (19 AP, 17 Coaches), Cincinnati (21 AP, 18 Coaches).
BCS Top 25 teams: Rutgers (15), Louisville (16), Cincinnati (21).
Non-conference FBS record: 13-9.
The lowdown: Another week in the books and still three undefeated teams, Louisville, Rutgers and Cincinnati. None of the three are getting much love though, from either poll voters or the computers. Cincinnati and Louisville meet in a week so one will get eliminated. But, man, the gnashing of teeth if one of these three teams goes undefeated and doesn't make the championship game ahead of a one-loss squad.
5. ACC
Ranked teams: Florida State (12 AP, 10 Coaches), Clemson (14 AP, 13 Coaches).
BCS Top 25 teams: Florida State (14), Clemson (19).
Non-conference FBS record: 13-14.
The lowdown: If the Big Ten has a decent week, it may pass up the ACC next week. It's kind of telling when Duke is only a half-game out of first place in the ACC Coastal division. This conference seems to have a lot of average teams this season. Not sure Florida State and Clemson are that much better than the rest.
6. BIG TEN
Ranked teams: Ohio State (7 AP), Michigan (23 AP, 25 Coaches).
BCS Top 25 teams: Natta.
Non-conference FBS record: 26-13.
The lowdown: Think Big Ten Commish Jim Delany wasn't taken aback when the BCS standings came out Sunday and none of his schools were in the top 25. Ohio State would be but are in the NCAA clink. And after barely beating Indiana last week, who would take the Buckeyes that seriously? Too bad they couldn't talk Notre Dame into joining the conference.
7. WAC
Ranked teams: None, but Louisiana Tech should be.
BCS Top 25 teams: None.
Non-conference FBS record: 12-15.
The lowdown: Maybe because it didn't end until early Sunday morning and all anyone saw was it lost, but how does Louisiana Tech play Texas A&M off its feet, lose by two points and fall out of the Top 25 while A&M moves up? No matter, the Bulldogs' remaining schedule is against WAC teams. So they can run the table and jump back in.
8. MOUNTAIN WEST
Ranked teams: Boise State (24 AP, 22 Coaches).
BCS Top 25 teams: Boise State (22).
Non-conference FBS record: 12-15.
The lowdown: An improving league with anchor Boise State leading the way. Nevada is actually in first place - 3-0 and Boise State is 2-0 - and has a 6-1 record. Five teams have winning records.
9. SUN BELT
Ranked teams and BCS Top 25 teams: None.
Non-conference FBS record: 10-18.
The lowdown: Big doings in Bowling Green on Saturday. UL-Lafayette losing to North Texas on Tuesday. Stings worse for the Cajuns.
10. MAC
Ranked teams: Ohio (25 AP).
BCS Top 25 teams: None.
Non-conference FBS record: 12-23.
The lowdown: We may have to move the MAC up next week. Undefeated Ohio has jumped into the Top 25. Toledo, Northern Illinois and Kent State all have only one loss. We kind of wonder how Ohio would do in the Big Ten. Wouldn't hurt having them this year.
11. CONFERENCE USA
Ranked teams and BCS Top 25 teams: None.
Non-conference FBS record: 7-33.
The lowdown: One bright spot this week was Rice beating previously undefeated UT-San Antonio. Pretty bad when you look to Rice for good football news.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2012/10/fbs_college_football_conferenc_2.html

Big 12/SEC game predictions: Week 8

A rough week of picks for me last week, but we're back again. I'm headed to Morgantown for Kansas State at West Virginia, and I couldn't be more excited for my first game at WVU.

Once again, all 10 Big 12 teams are back in action. Let's get to the picks!

Last week: 2-3 (.400)[/B]
Overall: 33-10 (.767)[/B]

Oklahoma State 34, No. 24 Iowa State 30:[/B] I honestly have no idea what to expect from Oklahoma State's quarterback spot, but I think this is the week Joseph Randle gets back on track and the Cowboys earn their best win of the season.

No. 17 Texas Tech 31, No. 23 TCU 27:[/B] This was the toughest pick of the week. I'm not quite sure what to think of either team just yet, but I'll buy another strong performance from the Texas Tech defense, which gives Trevone Boykin a lot of trouble. TCU's defense plays well, too, but the Red Raiders get another huge win on the road.

No. 4 Kansas State 37, No. 13 West Virginia 34:[/B] This was my second-toughest pick of the week. My confidence in it? Not very high. Still, I'm taking the Fightin' Bill Snyders to dominate the clock and the line of scrimmage in this game, although WVU gets a whole bunch of quick scores. West Virginia has little to no shot to slow this running game, and the Wildcats one again win a tight one. This is also my game of the week. Come back later today for a video looking deeper into the game.

No. 9 Oklahoma 51, Kansas 10:[/B] There's no rainstorm this time. Nobody in the Big 12 has looked better than Oklahoma the past two weeks, and nobody in the Big 12 has looked worse than KU. A quarterback switch won't affect this outcome much. The Sooners' power running game provides a balance that wasn't there last year when OU struggled early in Lawrence. This one gets ugly.

Baylor 44, No. 25 Texas 38:[/B] David Ash says he's playing, but can he stay on the field? It's hard to believe he'll be full strength, too. Tevin Reese.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4680224/big-12-game-predictions-week-8

Big 12: Leaders are 'very close to getting playoff really right'

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- As college football's playoff formation continues, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said Wednesday, "We are very close to getting to this really right."
Bowlsby was confident that the playoff, beginning in 2014, will deliver on all its promises: keep the regular-season relevant, stage a compelling playoff and distribute revenue fairly.
"I'm confident we're going to get it right by the time it's all done," Bowlsby said at Wednesday's Big 12 basketball media day. "That's why we're going slow and sweating all the details."
Among those details is an exclusive TV negotiating window with ESPN that was due to begin Oct. 1. Bowlsby said the parties are just about to "embark on" those negotiations that could go on for months. Bowlsby indicated the parties "can do whatever you want to do as long as both parties agree and the TV partners go along with it."
The playoff is expected to be valued between $400 million to $600 million per year.
Bowlsby estimated that the selection committee which will select the playoff teams will number about 18.
"Some of them will be active people currently in the profession [and] retired people," he said. "I'm probably a little more trusting than some others might be having gone through the basketball committee process. The basketball process is a very honorable process. If you have a dog in the fight, you leave the room. You don't try to influence the other people in the room for your own benefit. This will be the same way.
"Will it be harder to come up with four teams than it is to come up with 68 [in basketball]? Yeah. Would we be any less confident in terms of integrity? No."
Bowlsby is former chairman of the NCAA men's basketball selection committee. The nine-man committee annually selects the 38 at-large teams as well as seeds and brackets the 68-team field.
One of the most distinguished members of a possible committee has not been contacted. Former SEC commissioner and father of the BCS, Roy Kramer told CBSSports.com recently that he is not particularly interested in being on the committee. Bowlsby said he would have no problem with Kramer being on the committee.
Bowlsby reiterated that a seventh bowl to accommodate the so-called Group of Five (MAC, Big East, Conference USA, Sun Belt, Mountain West) has not been finalized. In fact, Bowlsby was not in favor of the Orange Bowl becoming closed on both ends. Beginning in 2014, the ACC champion will play either Notre Dame or available teams from the SEC or Big Ten.
"It's no secret I wasn't entirely happy with that," said Bowlsby who lost a possible bowl berth for the Big 12.
As it stands, there could be a maximum six open spots in playoff bowls and a minimum of two in any given year (without a seventh bowl). Bowlsby was reminded that Utah attorney general Mark Shurtleff is still soliciting partners in order to sue the BCS on anti-trust grounds.
"I hope we do a good enough job that those complaints will sound hollow," Bowlsby said.
The Big 12 and SEC are still in the process of deciding where to place its Champions Bowl. CBSSports.com reported last week that Bowlsby said it was a "dead heat" between Dallas and New Orleans. The assumption is that the city that doesn't get the Champions (Big 12 vs. SEC) will get an access -- or open -- bowl in the playoff rotation.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/20585451/big-12-leaders-are-very-close-to-getting-playoff-really-right

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT