ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Fans- If Expansion did happen, what 2 teams would you favor?

Big12Mountaineer

All-Conference
Oct 23, 2011
Many seem to keep the current status of 10 teams. I kind of like it. It's bloody already with 9 conference games, so why add a championship game and divisions where some teams avoid playing each other every year.

I kind of like playing every team. It creates rivalries when you play each school in football and basketball.

This is a topic that will probably never go away. With that said, and I know it's not likely any ACC teams will leave now, but I'm still in favor of Florida State & Clemson mainly because they both have great FB traditions & history.

If neither of them budged, then I'd want Rutgers & Maryland (if they'd dare to leave the ACC). To me these two would make the most sense as travel partners & current rivals of WVU, both AAU members, both flagship state schools of the states they represent, and primarily for excellent recruiting grounds & a high potential for TV eyes, Being in a major conference like the Big 12 would definitely help an expanded viewship of our conference in the Baltimore, DC, New York City & New Jersey areas.

This post was edited on 10/9 2:11 AM by TexasCat1

I am in favor of staying at 10 now that the conference has stability and I think it will stay that way unless something dramatic happens.

With all the insurrection in the Big 12 over the last 2 years this conference needs some calm waters and everyone seems to like the round robin format in both FB & BB and having seen this league from the outside and now the inside it seems like for the first time all the schools want to be together and have circled the wagons. That provides strength.

However, if something dramatic would happen I would favor FSU & Clemson for #'s 11 & 12. FSU is the key since they are the only one with any cache' to move the needle on revenue. If Clemson wouldn't come I'd be OK with Louisville. Maryland & Rutgers don't really bring that much and I really like Rutgers, but that is reality.

If the conference does expand I really want it to come east, not west thus, I am not in favor of BYU. If teams are added I hope the league looks at bridging the geographical gap for WVU a little.

With all that being said, I can't tell you how happy I am that we are in the Big 12. After 100+ years we are finally in an all-sports league of LIKE MINDED institutions. It's what WVU has searched for it's entire existence. We are finally "home", we just couldn't see it before because of the geography.

I am for staying at 10.

If we did expand, we need to go to 14, and lock up the 4 best available candidates, since the other conferences seem to be headed that way or are there already. No need waiting for the P12 or B10 to move first and leave us with no options at all.

So take BYU, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Rutgers.

EAST DIVISION
WVU,
Rutgers,
Louisville,
Cincinnati,
Iowa state,
Oklahoma,
Kansas state

WEST DIVISION
Texas,
Texas tech,
Baylor,
TCU,
BYU,
Kansas,
Oklahoma state

This post was edited on 10/9 10:51 AM by doneagain

Did I recently read that the SEC prefers playing a Big 12 team just off a championship game win in the upcoming Champions Bowl? Does the SEC see disadvantage in playing a Big 12 team that doesn't have to deal with a thirteenth game?

Originally posted by doneagain:
I am for staying at 10.

If we did expand, we need to go to 14, and lock up the 4 best available candidates, since the other conferences seem to be headed that way or are there already. No need waiting for the P12 or B10 to move first and leave us with no options at all.

EAST DIVISION
WVU,
Rutgers,
Louisville,
Cincinnati,
Iowa state,
Oklahoma,
Kansas state

WEST DIVISION
Texas,
Texas tech,
Baylor,
TCU,
BYU,
Kansas,
Oklahoma state

I like your thinking, but there's no way they separate OU from both OSU and Texas.

That was my dilemma. But the two traditional anchor programs are Texas and Oklahoma and I just felt they needed to be in separate divisions for the potential of having them face off in a conference title game in a theoretical rematch.

I guess switch Kansas state and Oklahoma state.

If the big 12 did expand as I suggested, we would have 9.... NINE... Ranked teams in the coaches poll, the one that matters, and two more teams receiving votes.

It would bring in 4 top 50 television markets as well.

Just something to think about.

You say this now, what if we get to the end of the season with a slight edge over say Oregon, but Oregon plays again in their conference champ game. Which in turn makes their computer rankings rise up just enough to put them ahead of us.

Lets not also forget the extra money involved, roughly 2 million more per school.

rutgers and lou would be my choices. both have made big time commitments to football and bring in new markets. not sure cinn brings anything to the table and byu is trying to be nd's little brother. md won't leave the acc.

The only thing that concerns me about round robin is scenarios like we had in the Big East. Their were sometimes as many as four schools touting a "BIG EAST CHAMPIONSHIP". It waters down even having a champion. I would rather no one win than 4 schools win.

With the end of the BCS nearing, or at least as we know it. I don't think there should be any pressure for us to expand beyond 10 teams.

I could see the need if the four team playoff wasn't a reality now, but with it, why should we? The Big 12 will always be a top 2 or 3 conference in football (not to sound conceeded) with OU and Texas in the conference. So why change what should be a conference that will most likely always put a team in the playoff?

I could see some years where the conference might not. But look at the BCS history. The Big 12 has had a conference team in the BCS title hunt almost every year of the BCS.

1998 KSU was in that picture until losing to A&M.
1999, not a team in that picture.
2000 OU won it
2001 Nebraska played for the title.
2002 no team
2003 OU played for a title
2004 officially didn't exist, but OU played for the title
2005 Texas won it.
2006 no team
2007 Missouri before losing to OU in B12 CCG.
2008 OU played for a title
2009 Texas played for a title
2010 no team
2011 OSU was in the picture and got screwed.
2012 still up in the air. But WVU, KSU have the inside track. OU and Texas aren't yet eliminated from the discussion either at this time.

I guess everyone thinks the ACC deal with Notre Dame is locked and put to bed.. Is it really? Have all of the teams actually signed off on the deal?

I can still see a possible move of Florida St. and Georgia Tech if it isn't a done deal.

As far as a league that would split OU and texas, along with splitting OSU and texas...no thanks.

We already lost a great rivalry game every year with Nebraska. And I'm pretty certain Texas doesn't want to lose their rivalry with OU. Nor OU WITH texas or OSU.

Even if they guaranteed cross division rivalries would live, it would hurt OU playing the rest of the other division. Seeing at an 8 or 9 conference game slate would mean OU would only get to play just one or two teams from the other division each year.

Won't happen.

I understand the need or want to have the two tradition rich anchors of the conference to be split, but there would be no guarantee they would face off every year without keeping traditional rivalries. And I explained that already.

Stay at 10. The only real reason expansion took ahold in the first place was money craze from the BCS era. And that is soon gone!

Originally posted by doneagain:
I am for staying at 10.

EAST DIVISION
WVU,
Rutgers,
Louisville,
Cincinnati,
Iowa state,
Oklahoma,
Kansas state

WEST DIVISION
Texas,
Texas tech,
Baylor,
TCU,
BYU,
Kansas,
Oklahoma state

I would like this conference as well but it would make the most sense if you switched Oklahoma and Kansas. It'd be pretty similar to the old Big 12 North and South where one division would be much stronger than the other. Atleast in football it would be.

It might be hard to sign BYU up for that much traveling though. Maybe drop them and Rutgers? That would put it at 12 and then the basketball schedule could be 16 again where you'd play each school in your division twice and the other division just once. Would possibly make the East division the strongest in college basketball.

This post was edited on 10/9 7:57 PM by schoonerwest

Only if we got 2 who would increase the per-team TV package money. Also, having one team in our part of the nation would be nice - but shouldn't be done just for that sake. I would think Florida State is on the clock - they have to see they are in a bad situation conference-wise. They are going to find out ND is a horrible conference partner and will be as big a parasite to the ACC as they were to the Big East.

I dont get the Louisville draw.
Who even cares about Louisville?
I wouldnt consider them decent at football, and I dont care about basketball. Do they really bring a worthwile market?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

If Expansion did happen....

Florida State and Clemson.

Zero interest for "city" schools or teams that have more losses than wins in their college football history.

This post was edited on 10/12 6:56 AM by Steering Around

If I had to choose it would be FSU and BYU. If equal revenue sharing and current rules still apply. ND as a full member wouldn't be bad. But as a half member, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I like the idea of Louisville as the #12 team. No way I endorse expansion if they're the headliner. I'd take them with Florida State, Clemson, BYU or Notre Dame. I have no interest in Louisville and Cincinnati.

They make sense because of they're basketball tradition, a decent untapped market, an improving and exciting football product right now and a geographic bridge to West Virginia. The addition of Louisville's basketball program would go a long way for the Big 12. Our national perception in basketball consistently lags behind the product on the court, and Louisville's status and national appeal would help fix that. Short of adding a program like them someone other than Kansas would have to win a national title to give the conference a similar boost in national opinion. It's been 67 years since anyone else from this conference has cut down the last net.

I'm afraid we dropped the ball while we waited for Dodds to woo Notre Dame. We should be fine at ten so long as our media revenue equals that of the other four major conferences. If we fall behind we'll be in trouble.

I am fine with 10 but I do feel it will eventually catch up with us. I just don't see the other conferences allowing us to skip a conference championship game. That is a major stumbling block we get to skip. You will start hearing the discontent the first year a playoff contender gets knocked out. Maybe they even start "penalizing" us for having that one less game than other playoff hopefuls. I think we will feel obligated to follow the same system as every other conference relatively soon. All the talk about staying at 10 is positioning because we can't land FSU and therefore Clemson.

Make no mistake, 12 is happening. It almost will have to. Its more a matter of when 10 reallly starts becoming a major issue. The other 4 majors are at a competitive disadvantage how can they let that stand.

Who? I think the ACC is off the the table. Notre Dame is off the table. Doesn't leave a great list to choose from but it's what we have in reality. Who does the least amount of damage in the inventory of avails and who has potential to eventually be an asset?

-Rutgers. The State University of New Jersey. Look, the fact is Rutgers has made a commitment to football. The have poured millions into the program and have really leveraged the school to do so. Like any other school that has made that commitment they really are only a great coach and a great QB away from being truly relevant. People like to poo poo Rutgers relevancy from a TV perspective but you'd see a respectable share if they joined the Big 12. Games against Texas,Ok, and traditional rival WV would draw their fair share. Their stadium would also be packed. Influx of cash could really put them over the top. From a WV perspective this could actually hurt because they are a competitor on the recruiting trail but we can't think in those terms.

-Lousivillle. See Rutgers. I hate Louisville. I hate their stadium. I hate their fans. I hate their stupid generic logo. I hate their Senator. However, they have made the commitment to sports. Football, basketball...soccer. They are capable of beating other BCS schools. They wouldn't hurt the Big 12 in that regard. Plus, their basketball program as we all know would really move the needle for the Big 12. I for one, still find basketball a good way to endure a Winter and like being part of a power conference. An interesting conference. Let's make Big 12 basketball more interesting.

National:
WVU, KSU, KU, ISU, Rutgers, UL

Prairie:
TX, OU,OSU,TT, TCU, Baylor

This post was edited on 10/13 7:40 AM by ~IRWT~

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT