ADVERTISEMENT

Being proud to be American?

AirForceer

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2006
Charleston. Now in Florida
So, I have 3 year old twin boys that recently learned the “Pledge of Allegiance.” Also, they say it, with conviction and pride. Well, I was telling a coworker about it and he said “Shame on you for brainwashing them at such an early age.” I’ll not repeat what I said to him, but it really upset me that some in America think it is a crime to be American.

So, I have 3 year old twin boys that recently learned the “Pledge of Allegiance.” Also, they say it, with conviction and pride. Well, I was telling a coworker about it and he said “Shame on you for brainwashing them at such an early age.” I’ll not repeat what I said to him, but it really upset me that some in America think it is a crime to be American.

PC mania is taking over the country. At some point, there has to be a backlash. Maybe the comedians will lead the charge.

Telling someone they're brainwashing their 3 year old by teaching them the Pledge of Allegience is about 0.0000000001% as un-American as were the people for whom the Confederate flag was created.

Telling someone they're brainwashing their 3 year old by teaching them the Pledge of Allegience is about 0.0000000001% as un-American as were the people for whom the Confederate flag was created.

What in the hell does the confederate flag have to do with this discussion? Give it a rest.

Reactions: AirForceer
What in the hell does the confederate flag have to do with this discussion? Give it a rest.

It's relevant. How can someone by annoyed with a person saying that it's brainwashing to teach a 3 year old the PoA but not at the same time be incensed at people (and thus their flag) that took up arms to split the country in two?

Reactions: RichardPeterJohnson
That comment from your co-worker was just plain stupid.....of course, it's not against the law in America to be stupid (though sometimes, as in this case, that's really too bad).

Meanwhile, I honestly appreciate that you went ahead and simply stated what you heard rather than use it.....as is the case for so many around here.....to try and make an almost-equally stupid political point. To my way of thinking, stupid is stupid......no matter on which side of the aisle one stands.

It's relevant. How can someone by annoyed with a person saying that it's brainwashing to teach a 3 year old the PoA but not at the same time be incensed at people (and thus their flag) that took up arms to split the country in two?

If you so dumb as to see a parallel here, then I can't help you.

Like comparing apples to oranges. JMO

If flying the flag of people that tried to destroy the USA isn't wrong then how can it be wrong for someone to tell another that they shouldn't teach the PoA to a 3 year old?

Personally I think telling someone to not teach their 3 year old the PoA is kinda obnoxious but OTOH I think people that took up arms to try to destroy the USA are about a billion times more obnoxious, and their flag is too.

That comment from your co-worker was just plain stupid.....of course, it's not against the law in America to be stupid (though sometimes, as in this case, that's really too bad).

Meanwhile, I honestly appreciate that you went ahead and simply stated what you heard rather than use it.....as is the case for so many around here.....to try and make an almost-equally stupid political point. To my way of thinking, stupid is stupid......no matter on which side of the aisle one stands.

I could have really confused him because boys have dual citizenship (USA/Philippines). I try to teach them about both places. At some point they will have to make their own decisions, but as parents, it’s our job to provide theem a foundation to base those decisions on.

Yes, stupid is stupid!

I kinda like the flag. It makes it easy to spot horrible and ignorant people from a distance.

I hate to say it but purely from an aesthetic standpoint I like the Confederate flag. It looks very nice. It's just that what it stands for is kinda icky.

I have lived with this exact issue for a few years. My experience are bible thumping right wing nuts that equate pledging allegiance to the flag as a violation against the commandment of honor no other god. Some of these idiots pulled their kids out of public school and have home schooled and some have sent their kids to fundamental Christian schools.

Well, when you put it that way, it does make sense.

It doesn't make any sense to me. This is 2015. We live in the United States. We have one national flag. The confederate flag isn't our na
I have lived with this exact issue for a few years. My experience are bible thumping right wing nuts that equate pledging allegiance to the flag as a violation against the commandment of honor no other god. Some of these idiots pulled their kids out of public school and have home schooled and some have sent their kids to fundamental Christian schools.

You Libs are one angry lot

So tell me, Troll. Do you name call a person that criticize wingnuts like yourself as a "lib"? I thought "libs" were those that favor liberal policies. But if it means despising idiots like you that are ruining this great country, then i will wear that label.

Sounds like your experince and mine differ some and that's okay. My boys learned the POA so they would know it in time for vacation bible school. It's true there are extreme behaviors with regards to most anything, but I don't believe the vast majority of Christians are against the POA? JMO

Sounds like your experince and mine differ some and that's okay. My boys learned the POA so they would know it in time for vacation bible school. It's true there are extreme behaviors with regards to most anything, but I don't believe the vast majority of Christians are against the POA? JMO
I don't think the vast majority of people in this country are against the POA. I'm sorry you had to deal with some idgit who considers learning the Pledge brainwashing. I certainly don't understand that perspective. I'm curious if it was related to your sons' dual citizenship. I don't understand the anti-pledge perspective even in that case, but maybe it's someone who is hyper-sensitive about fair representation of the Philippines in this case. Maybe they are assuming you are pushing them in a particular direction, apparently unfairly. I don't intend that as a defense, only an attempt to understand.

I agree with Mule and don't agree that most Americans are against POA whether practice a strange form of Christianity which personally I don't believe is Christianity at all or they are left wing atheists. You experienced an unfortunate experience and it is a far exception rather than a normal and maintream act.

I don't think the vast majority of people in this country are against the POA. I'm sorry you had to deal with some idgit who considers learning the Pledge brainwashing. I certainly don't understand that perspective. I'm curious if it was related to your sons' dual citizenship. I don't understand the anti-pledge perspective even in that case, but maybe it's someone who is hyper-sensitive about fair representation of the Philippines in this case. Maybe they are assuming you are pushing them in a particular direction, apparently unfairly. I don't intend that as a defense, only an attempt to understand.

They are dual citizens because they piggy back on Mom's dual citizenship. They have never been to the Philippines. I only posted this as a matter of discussion. Like you I believe the silent majority in America get most things right. However, my concern is that the silent majority is too silent. Maybe that’s because we are too busy working, paying our bills, raising our families etc….or posting on message boards.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT