ADVERTISEMENT

Beetle Bolden, south paw.

Tough kid, great hops, has lots of moves, that jump shot is effective but the launch angle is a little flat, I'd expect it to get blocked a little more against college competition. This team will be fun to watch develop.

Huggs doesn't redshirt unless its and injury. He will play. I think Bolden might surprise a few people. He did win the three point shooting contest and the dunk contest at the SBC.

Huggs doesn't redshirt unless its and injury. He will play. I think Bolden might surprise a few people. He did win the three point shooting contest and the dunk contest at the SBC.
Athletic and can shoot, just what the doctor ordered. :)

Plays bigger than 6-foot, 170. Will only put on more weight & muscle in the program.

Looks to me to be at his best coming downhill, penetrating and attacking the painted area/rim. More a scoring point guard than a traditional facilitator. At least at the high school level.

Can create his own shot, which is not an ability owned by a whole lot of guys on the current roster. Never hurts to have someone who can attack off the dribble, draw a foul and hit a pair of FTs during stretches of games where the outside shots aren't falling.

Would figure to be great in transition with live ball turnovers and getting an easy two the other way.

Plays bigger than 6-foot, 170. Will only put on more weight & muscle in the program.

Looks to me to be at his best coming downhill, penetrating and attacking the painted area/rim. More a scoring point guard than a traditional facilitator. At least at the high school level.

Can create his own shot, which is not an ability owned by a whole lot of guys on the current roster. Never hurts to have someone who can attack off the dribble, draw a foul and hit a pair of FTs during stretches of games where the outside shots aren't falling.

Would figure to be great in transition with live ball turnovers and getting an easy two the other way.

In actuality, every recruit that Huggs has coming in this year can create their own shot.

Meyers and Bolden both have some nifty moves and both are scorers. The question I have about both of them is how much defense are they going to be willing to play? Are they going to put the same amount of effort on both ends?

Ahmad can get his shot off any time he wants and he is great at drawing fouls.

West has some nice moves driving to the hole and has a really quick first step for a big which probably has to do with him being much smaller not to long ago and playing
guard before his growth spurt.

Reactions: Vernon
Yea, I hear ya. Wasn't counting the new incoming among the current returning.

Not a knock on the incumbents nor the rookies either. Quite like the makeup of this team.

Agree that Ahmad/Myers/Bolden appear to be able to create their own shot. Myers could turn out to be the best ball handler on the team. His crossover looks lethal.

Not that the 4 or 5 out motion is built on tons of isos, dribbling & individual playmaking. But it is nice to have the luxury of a few guys who can just go get you a bucket when the outside shots aren't going in. Of course Staten was skilled with this & in his own way in the post, Williams can do it too.

To your point about the defense, I'd say they'll each learn early on that effort in practice is the path to playing time. & specifically effort on defense.

Yea, I hear ya. Wasn't counting the new incoming among the current returning.

Not a knock on the incumbents nor the rookies either. Quite like the makeup of this team.

Agree that Ahmad/Myers/Bolden appear to be able to create their own shot. Myers could turn out to be the best ball handler on the team. His crossover looks lethal.

Not that the 4 or 5 out motion is built on tons of isos, dribbling & individual playmaking. But it is nice to have the luxury of a few guys who can just go get you a bucket when the outside shots aren't going in. Of course Staten was skilled with this & in his own way in the post, Williams can do it too.

To your point about the defense, I'd say they'll each learn early on that effort in practice is the path to playing time. & specifically effort on defense.

I think Carter and Miles can create their own shot to a small extent. But, you are correct, the current roster will need the abilities and skill sets the new player possess.

As far as the motion offense, you really only see Iso's towards the end of the shot clock and now at least we have some players to do that.

Beetle is going to cause attrition among our guards.

He is going to compete for that PG spot and take someone's court time, be it Tarik or Jevon

Keep in mind that after next season, Tarik can use the grad transfer rule to leave and play immediately

Could be. Hopefully the attrition bug won't rear its head again.

Each of the guards brings something valuable & different to the table.

Phillip showed flashes of nice driving/handles. Carter led in steals. Consensus seems potential's high on Bolden's scoring, driving ability & ironically his dunking/explosiveness.

Could be. Hopefully the attrition bug won't rear its head again.

Each of the guards brings something valuable & different to the table.

Phillip showed flashes of nice driving/handles. Carter led in steals. Consensus seems potential's high on Bolden's scoring, driving ability & ironically his dunking/explosiveness.

While I don't share your analysis on Phillip's handles, he does has a sneaky drive to the hole game. Very NYC. Carter isn't going anywhere and neither is Miles. If anyone were to bounce it would be probably be Phillip or Paige.

However, there is no doubt at all that Phillip and Carter, the two you mentioned, are our best defenders, especially on the ball and we all know Huggs values that above anything else with rebounds coming in a close second.

I think it will come down to who is giving the most in practice and in games.

Never say never I suppose in predicting what 18-22 year olds might do, but I agree that Carter/Miles will certainly stay & represent a key part of the future.

Miles started all the games I believe so zero room to complain. Carter logged what I would call big minutes & was inserted in countless critical situations. Both seemed to have the green light to shoot when they'd like & both had sets run for them to shoot. As true freshmen. Not saying it was unwarranted or there were better ways to spread the wealth, but barring major changes to this, I see no justification to leave.

While attrition is possible & seems wide spanning across NCAA hoops, I believe that just because it happened with WV before doesn't guarantee it'll always continue to happen. I'd think pondering leaving a program would be directly contingent on exactly what the better option is that's also worth sitting out an entire season for. Not simply a I'm leaving because there's competition at my position approach.

Some may look at being a part of this team that could do something special over the next two years as a real opportunity. Like a Gary Browne approach. Maybe Gary was the exception & not the rule. In any event, the Sweet 16, winning ball games & playing on national TV every week sounds nice to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT