ADVERTISEMENT

BCM....wings

1WVU

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
@backcountry mounty do you brine wings before cooking? If so how long? I've got a couple of ribs in the smoker but my daughter wants wings. Thought about brining them and putting them on the grill but wanted the experts opinion. Thanks

i don't brine them, buddy. For me the allure of a great wing is crispy skin. I think you lose a little bit of that when you brine chicken....

Gotcha, thanks.

Smoked some whole birds on Thursday for some of our hourly guys and used your brine. Got rave reviews. Probably the best chicken I've cooked. Used a new smoker and it crisped the skin beautifully

Good. Have you ever used sazon y achiote for your wings? It is in the Central American section of grocery stores.

http://www.cubanfoodmarket.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/GY-SZONlg.jpg

GY-SZONlg.jpg

I know, I'm late to the game here but thought I would add....

I don't brine either and for the same reason as BCM. I love grilled wings, maybe as much as deep fried. I like to use a dry rub, cook them on the heat to get a little char and then finsih by dunking a couple of times in a wing sauce.

Lately, on Sunday's I have been cooking bone-in quarters in similar fashion but without the wing sauce. The wife then pulls the chicken and we eat it throughout the week.

ADVERTISEMENT