ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody on here try Provel cheese? Came across it when

pacs life

All-Conference
Gold Member
Nov 23, 2010
researching grilled grilled cheese and it looks interesting. Apparently used for Pizza in St. Louis frequently.

Thoughts on it from those who have tried it on pizza and alone or on other things?

Semi tastless when raw with the consistency of a cross between Baby Mozz and Velveeta. The appeal of the cheese is due to the way in which it melts..

Originally posted by pacs life:
researching grilled grilled cheese and it looks interesting. Apparently used for Pizza in St. Louis frequently.

Thoughts on it from those who have tried it on pizza and alone or on other things?
Hey, I live in St. Louis! *offers worthless opinion*

Provel is a love it or hate it item. There are always fights on the /r/stlouis subreddit about it. I like it when used properly. It's a processed cheese (as bcm said) that tastes kind of like a provelone / cheddar mix with a hint of swiss.

I do like it on pizza and pasta. Some places around here sprinkle it on salads, too, which is pretty good. It's a pretty assertive flavor, though, so you have to make sure you don't use a crap ton of it if you want to taste anything else.

Here's a decent article about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT