ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama's cost of attendance stipend will rank among highest in nation

wbgvwbgv

All-Conference
Nov 19, 2001
Alabama football coach Nick Saban has called cost of attendance a “nightmare” because of varying numbers by schools and concerns the figures could be fudged. He even suggested the NFL's salary cap could be a model to cap stipends for college players, missing the point that the Ed O'Bannon ruling won't allow such collusion and the NFL salary cap gets negotiated by a players union that doesn't exist in college sports.

Don't feel too bad for Saban, though. As it turns out, Alabama's cost of attendance stipends will rank among the leaders nationally at $5,386 for out-of-state players and $4,172 for in-state players, according to information the university provided to CBSSports.com.

This represents a 34-percent increase in Alabama's cost of attendance figure for out-of-state students from two years ago and a 14-percent increase for in-state students. In its 2013-14 NCAA financial report, Alabama listed the gap between its average scholarship and the full cost of attendance at $4,018 for out-of-state students and $3,664 for in-state students. Alabama did not provide its 2014-15 figures.

Some media reports have listed Alabama's new cost of attendance stipend for players at $2,892. In reality, the number will be much higher. Alabama's out-of-state stipend figure for 2015-16 ranks third among SEC schools based on a CBSSports.com survey; the only SEC schools with higher figures are Tennessee ($5,666) and Auburn ($5,586).

For years, athletic scholarships have not covered what university financial aid offices list as the full cost of attending college. That changes this August when athletic scholarships can include not only the traditional tuition, room, board, books and fees, but also incidental costs of attending college.

Financial aid offices set cost of attendance numbers based on federal guidelines. The SEC recently passed a rule requiring schools to explain to the league office its cost of attendance methodology and report any different amounts provided to individual athletes.

Alabama spokeswoman Deborah Lane said via email that the university is applying the same methods to determine cost of attendance that it always uses. The higher numbers were impacted by an increase in tuition (3.5 percent for in-state and 4 percent for out-of-state students), higher residence hall costs (5 percent), and increases in the average consumer expenditure numbers and cost of travel, Lane said.

Alabama lists transportation costs at $3,020 for each out-of-state student and $1,806 per in-state student.

For in-state students, Lane said Alabama assumes most of them live within five miles of campus, travel 50 miles per week over a 34-week academic year at a rate of 57 cents per mile, and make two round trips home per semester. For out-of-state students, Alabama used a weighted average of mileage based on an eight-hour travel radius and an average of two round trips home per semester. Alabama's miscellaneous expense cost is $2,366 for in-state and out-of-state students. Lane said the university based the number on the U.S. Census Bureau's average consumer expenditures.

Bottom line: As coaches scrutinize cost of attendance numbers and examine how they might impact recruiting, Saban will be just fine at Alabama with his figure.

img25127794.jpg

Nick Saban should have no problem with Alabama's cost of attendance stipend figure. (USATSI)

Alabama football coach Nick Saban has called cost of attendance a “nightmare” because of varying numbers by schools and concerns the figures could be fudged. He even suggested the NFL's salary cap could be a model to cap stipends for college players, missing the point that the Ed O'Bannon ruling won't allow such collusion and the NFL salary cap gets negotiated by a players union that doesn't exist in college sports.

Don't feel too bad for Saban, though. As it turns out, Alabama's cost of attendance stipends will rank among the leaders nationally at $5,386 for out-of-state players and $4,172 for in-state players, according to information the university provided to CBSSports.com.

This represents a 34-percent increase in Alabama's cost of attendance figure for out-of-state students from two years ago and a 14-percent increase for in-state students. In its 2013-14 NCAA financial report, Alabama listed the gap between its average scholarship and the full cost of attendance at $4,018 for out-of-state students and $3,664 for in-state students. Alabama did not provide its 2014-15 figures.

Some media reports have listed Alabama's new cost of attendance stipend for players at $2,892. In reality, the number will be much higher. Alabama's out-of-state stipend figure for 2015-16 ranks third among SEC schools based on a CBSSports.com survey; the only SEC schools with higher figures are Tennessee ($5,666) and Auburn ($5,586).

For years, athletic scholarships have not covered what university financial aid offices list as the full cost of attending college. That changes this August when athletic scholarships can include not only the traditional tuition, room, board, books and fees, but also incidental costs of attending college.

Financial aid offices set cost of attendance numbers based on federal guidelines. The SEC recently passed a rule requiring schools to explain to the league office its cost of attendance methodology and report any different amounts provided to individual athletes.

Alabama spokeswoman Deborah Lane said via email that the university is applying the same methods to determine cost of attendance that it always uses. The higher numbers were impacted by an increase in tuition (3.5 percent for in-state and 4 percent for out-of-state students), higher residence hall costs (5 percent), and increases in the average consumer expenditure numbers and cost of travel, Lane said.

Alabama lists transportation costs at $3,020 for each out-of-state student and $1,806 per in-state student.

For in-state students, Lane said Alabama assumes most of them live within five miles of campus, travel 50 miles per week over a 34-week academic year at a rate of 57 cents per mile, and make two round trips home per semester. For out-of-state students, Alabama used a weighted average of mileage based on an eight-hour travel radius and an average of two round trips home per semester. Alabama's miscellaneous expense cost is $2,366 for in-state and out-of-state students. Lane said the university based the number on the U.S. Census Bureau's average consumer expenditures.

Bottom line: As coaches scrutinize cost of attendance numbers and examine how they might impact recruiting, Saban will be just fine at Alabama with his figure.

img25127794.jpg

Nick Saban should have no problem with Alabama's cost of attendance stipend figure. (USATSI)

Lyons needs to learn a few tricks from his old school - Alabama. The amount that WVU is paying ( which is more than what is being reported nationwide ) should be much higher than $2700. Lyons & WVU should find out exactly what Alabama did and do the same. The last thing WVU needs attached to our reputation is a low cost of attendance stipend when compared to other Big 12 schools.

Alabama's cost of transportation ($3,020) is higher than WVU's total cost - something just isn't right here.

Lyons needs to learn a few tricks from his old school - Alabama. The amount that WVU is paying ( which is more than what is being reported nationwide ) should be much higher than $2700. Lyons & WVU should find out exactly what Alabama did and do the same. The last thing WVU needs attached to our reputation is a low cost of attendance stipend when compared to other Big 12 schools.

Alabama's cost of transportation ($3,020) is higher than WVU's total cost - something just isn't right here.

I don't get why a lot of guys don't think this will impact recruiting. A heck of a lot of kids are going to go where they can get the most money. Kids don't give a shit about cost of living or anything else. They are going to just look at the total amount of dollars.

I don't get why a lot of guys don't think this will impact recruiting. A heck of a lot of kids are going to go where they can get the most money. Kids don't give a shit about cost of living or anything else. They are going to just look at the total amount of dollars.

Yep...I agree.

Is there a sports journalist that has the balls to attack the numbers ? ...and are those numbers, determined by each school using some formula, available to the general public ??

Something smells....

If your school is in the lower half of the conference, it will definitely send the wrong message to 18 year old recruits. It seems to me like there were a number of schools guided by their athletic department that managed to get more money for their student athletes.

College sports are losing what is special. It started with realignment. Now different schools will pay players different amounts. Just seems like everything is going in the wrong direction.

Reactions: pressvirginia
If you think this COA is all players will be getting paid, you're incredibly naive. I am not trying to be insulting, but think about it. It will impact recruiting absolutely none at all.

Btw imo Realignment is the best thing to ever happen to WVU. Our schedule proves it. Its the best we've ever played.

I dont care about tradition or regional rivalries. That stuff is overrated when only 1 side cares and shows up. Otherwise it is we go there and give them their biggest attendance of the year and then they bring 500 people to Morgantown next time. That's not a rivalry, its economic impact.

If it was so important 4 schools out of the big least would have never left for the ACC (VT, BC, Cuse, Pitt).

I care about playing schools with similar fanbases and those with passion and a following. Pitt, cuse, bc, and the rest of the urban commuter schools we used to play absolutely suck in all of those areas. Give me our schedule now over the previous 100 years any day. Every game is like a bowl game.

Other than VT we played nobody similar to us (except PSU but that was last in 92, we're okay). They (actually both) decided to stop playing WVU so we moved on. No big loss.

My only link to tradition would be Maryland and I hope that one wouldn't die. I fear it will cause Edsol is a pussy and wont play WVU or anybody ooc.

If you think this COA is all players will be getting paid, you're incredibly naive. I am not trying to be insulting, but think about it. It will impact recruiting absolutely none at all.

Btw imo Realignment is the best thing to ever happen to WVU. Our schedule proves it. Its the best we've ever played.

I dont care about tradition or regional rivalries. That stuff is overrated when only 1 side cares and shows up. Otherwise it is we go there and give them their biggest attendance of the year and then they bring 500 people to Morgantown next time. That's not a rivalry, its economic impact.

If it was so important 4 schools out of the big least would have never left for the ACC (VT, BC, Cuse, Pitt).

I care about playing schools with similar fanbases and those with passion and a following. Pitt, cuse, bc, and the rest of the urban commuter schools we used to play absolutely suck in all of those areas. Give me our schedule now over the previous 100 years any day. Every game is like a bowl game.

Other than VT we played nobody similar to us (except PSU but that was last in 92, we're okay). They (actually both) decided to stop playing WVU so we moved on. No big loss.

My only link to tradition would be Maryland and I hope that one wouldn't die. I fear it will cause Edsol is a pussy and wont play WVU or anybody ooc.

IMO, it absolutely will impact recruiting. Hell, I'd probably go to the school that was going to give me an extra 5K instead of one that would give me 2K.

College sports are losing what is special. It started with realignment. Now different schools will pay players different amounts. Just seems like everything is going in the wrong direction.

good points.

the race to reach TV sets was first.

now the stipend race.

what's next? salary and benefits? what happened to education, the athletic program, scheme, conference, tradition, coaches, facilities, potential for playing time, proximity to home?

if a recruit is weighing a thousand more at Bama vs elsewhere, then by all means, go to Tuscaloosa and cash in that thousand.

just another sign of business dictating what was previosly a student-athlete opportunity.

if it's business & $$ opportunity that's sought and thought deserved fresh out of high school, then forgo playing & become a profit-turning professional.

I love the games. I enjoy watching the cycles our team goes through over the years. And I cherish the big wins and still harbor hope that the Mountaineers will get another shot at a national championship.

But I'm just about fed up with big league college sports. For the most part I quit watching professional sports years ago. And my inclination toward big college sports is leaning in that direction too.

I've actually entertained the idea the last couple of Autumns of not watching the Mountaineers on TV and seeking out a smaller college football game played on a field on the campus on a Saturday afternoon. You know ... just go watch the game for the enjoyment of watching the game.

I've thought I could pick out a small school and take time to learn about the school, its team, and so forth. And just become a fan of a team for the fun of being a fan.

The problem, as I see it, is twofold. And especially so in WVU's case. 1) Big time college sports is an arms race pure and simple, with no end in sight. And 2) Too many fans are trying to derive their sense of well-being from the performance of a college football/basketball team.

It's pretty much turned into a freak show.

Reactions: pressvirginia
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT