ADVERTISEMENT

Academics and the ACC

Falcon1981

All-Conference
Jan 7, 2008
Did we not get two years probation, loss of scholarships and reduced recruiting for having a GA spend time working with players during the summer?
I guess the standards are little lower in the ACC.

It's amazing. You read it everywhere. Their academics are in tatters, but basketball is safe. UNC's PR team is working overtime to create the narrative that basketball is safe at UNC at Chapel Hill. Yesterday Pat Forde with Yahoo discussed Roy Williams lack of concern that basketball will face any issues because, ".. the 2005 championship should not be vacated and that even if players were given no credit for the AFAM classes, they still would have been eligible." Ignoring the fact that these players used those classes to float their 12 hour minimum full-time student status as well as their GPA. He makes remarks that he knows could only be proven wrong across the board by information that he knows UNC will fight forever as FERPA protected. Except he is wrong. They are already proven wrong in at least one case. Rashad McCants' transcript decimates that argument. His final year at UNC McCants took two valid classes at UNC and failed them both. Every other class was an AFAM paper class that was listed in the Wainstein report as fake.

Roy William's assertion that "if players were given no credit for the AFAM classes, they still would have been eligible." is asinine. According to ESPN, " A copy of McCants' university transcript, labeled "unofficial" and obtained by "Outside the Lines," shows that in his non-African-American Studies classes, McCants received six C's, one D and three F's." This would have given McCants a cumulitive GPA of 1.3, with him leaving UNC as a Freshman with 27 credit hours after three years at UNC. Minus AFAM he would not have made the academic progress needed to maintain eligibility and his GPA would have had him sitting at home in Ashville learning a life lesson about applying himself

It is a damn shame you guys are not in the ACC. The academics argument is nothing but bullcrap. Not sure where WVU falling out with Swofford began.

I get chills thinking about the regional matchup. WVU vs . BC, UofL, Pitt, Va Tech, Virginia etc etc

I think the majority of WV fans are very happy in the Big 12. Sadly the Big 12 couldn't make room for Louisville which would have been a nice addition. The academic argument was nothing more than message board chatter as evident by the last expansion.

BC & Pitt football programs have went downhill since joining the ACC - not like the old Big East.

I personally prefer the big 12 than the acc, I think it gives us a one up on the eastern teams when it comes to recruiting. We have a different product to sell and it is showing in recruiting. Almost Every game is a quality opponent and their fans actually travel.

The Big XII is AWESOME. I LOVE THIS CONFERENCE. I LOVE THE SCHEDULE.

The fanbases are better than any WVU has ever played before. The competition is at the highest level EVER. The $$$$$$$ is the best ever. Don't mess with Happy.

That's why so many relationships fail. People keep looking & sleeping around and not realize how good they have it. Ask Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT