ADVERTISEMENT

9 Big 12 teams in March Madness?

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
Top 6 are shoo-ins in NET rankings, the most accurate predictor of the March Madness field.

WVU is 24th in NET rankings, Oklahoma State 47th, Oklahoma 65th, Texas Tech 77th. That projects 8 Big 12 teams in 64-team field with Oklahoma among 4 play-in teams.

So 9 of 10 Big 12 teams would be in March Madness. NET rankings are far more accurate than media and coaches’ polls.

There's only 36 at-large bids to the NCAA tournament, as 32 teams get auto bids by either winning their conference tournament and/or a couple leagues simply send the winner of the regular season and don't hold conference tournament. That means the more teams that win conference tournaments (that suck) will take away from the 36 at-large bids. That seems to take away 4-5 teams every year, so in reality, it's down to close to 30 at-large bids. B1G, ACC, and Big XII usually take around 24 of those between them, leaving you with a half dozen bids to be passed out to a dozen or so 'bubble teams'.

Bottom line: WVU needs to probably win another six games, and they'll be in. They control their own destiny in my opinion. There's 11 games remaining, so they'll need to hold serve at home by beating Auburn, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State. That's doable maybe. Then they'll have to win one of these road games at Texas, Baylor, or Iowa State, which will be a much taller task. Then there's always the conference tournament where you can grab that sixth win. I think 18-14 is the magic number.

There's only 36 at-large bids to the NCAA tournament, as 32 teams get auto bids by either winning their conference tournament and/or a couple leagues simply send the winner of the regular season and don't hold conference tournament. That means the more teams that win conference tournaments (that suck) will take away from the 36 at-large bids. That seems to take away 4-5 teams every year, so in reality, it's down to close to 30 at-large bids. B1G, ACC, and Big XII usually take around 24 of those between them, leaving you with a half dozen bids to be passed out to a dozen or so 'bubble teams'.

Bottom line: WVU needs to probably win another six games, and they'll be in. They control their own destiny in my opinion. There's 11 games remaining, so they'll need to hold serve at home by beating Auburn, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State. That's doable maybe. Then they'll have to win one of these road games at Texas, Baylor, or Iowa State, which will be a much taller task. Then there's always the conference tournament where you can grab that sixth win. I think 18-14 is the magic number.

I think 18-14 is the magic number.

Numbers say that's fairly accurate.

Records of teams that got into 2022 March Madness
Alabama 19-13
Ohio State 19-11
Marquette 19-12
Michigan 17-14
Rutgers 18-13
Power 5 teams get in, even at 17-14!

I hope all 9 Big 12 teams make it into March Madness. Poor Texas Tech left at home. Feel bad for Red Raiders. If 9 get in then half of Elite Eight field could be Big 12 teams because by rule than can't be matched up in 1st round and maybe 2nd round. 8 quads so if Big 12 team wins each quad it would be all-Big 12 Elite Eight. Hey, if you're going to dream, dream BIG!!!! Possible till it doesn't happen.

Weird that it has to be brought up, but nobody is forcing you to read posts, nor is anybody forcing you to make childish comments. You have a long history of childish comments, with basically no contributions to the forum. Maybe you should find another board, WVUFAKEFANFOREVER.
The guy that calls me WVUFAKEFANFOREVER is talking about others posting childish comments.

OMG I can't stop laughing.....you cant make this shit up.

Maybe you should just stop posting here since you arent a WVU fan you ****ing twat.

And I have made plenty of contributions...I embarrassed queenie coal into submission and got rid of bitchgregorjacobs.

Vernon scolded you on 9/20/22 for being rude to another poster.
And he lost a paying subscriber for that...,seems pretty stupid on his part now doesnt it.

Why do you know the date? Weird...oh yeah....stalker boy.

Last edited:
I hope all 9 Big 12 teams make it into March Madness. Poor Texas Tech left at home. Feel bad for Red Raiders. If 9 get in then half of Elite Eight field could be Big 12 teams because by rule than can't be matched up in 1st round and maybe 2nd round. 8 quads so if Big 12 team wins each quad it would be all-Big 12 Elite Eight. Hey, if you're going to dream, dream BIG!!!! Possible till it doesn't happen.
Have you figured out the difference between Kobe Johnson and Kedrian Johnson?

No way will there be 9 Big 12 teams in March Madness. Looking 8 as the highest possibility. That's only if all things work out to an exact timing. You got other conference tournaments to worry about. Especially if there is a big upset of a locked team getting beat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT