ADVERTISEMENT

4-H Outdoor Cooking Class

Muskets

All-Conference
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Posting the plan for my WV State 4-H Camp outdoor cooking class again this year.

Please if you have any great camp cooking or other outdoor cooking ideas, post them. I'm always looking for good ideas. I don't keep my class limited to camping recipes, but I do use some of them. In the past, we've brined chickens and turned them on a homeade spit over natural coals. I've roasted a whole turkey in a garbage can. I've done a lot of Dutch Oven stuff. I've used my barrel smoker for brisket, salmon, etc.

Monday, We'll start with some basic "foil in the fire" camp cooking, including Pie Irons. We will also visit the Jackson's Mill farm to harvest what ever is ripe. I figure it will be some greens and some onions.

Tuesday, we will make beans in cast iron over a fire (We will have soaked them overnight.) We'll also prepare what ever we harvested the day before. And then some Dutch Oven Corn bread.

Wednesday, we will be using a La Caja China Cooking Box. Either Chicken or Pork, not sure yet. Anyone have a La Caja China? I'm borrowing one and it will be my first time using it.

Thursday, as is my tradition, we are making breakfast. Planning on making Grits, Dutch Oven biscuits, and other breakfast foods. In my opinion, it's the best camping meal.

Any opinions? Any ideas? And I'm always looking for ideas for next year.

This post was edited on 6/25 8:47 AM by Muskets

That sounds fantastic, dude. Awesome ideas. I've said before, there is no more indespensible skill on the planet than being able to feed one's self, and know how to prepare simple, practical, economical meals with basic ingredients. Indespensible skill, and fits in great with 4-H's overall mission and spirit.

As to La Caja China. I'm a proud owner and I've roasted all sorts of things: Whole 80 lb hog; pork shoulders; porchetta; ribs, pork and beef; chicken quarters; whole birds; and sausages. Never did a turkey, but I can't imagine that the result would be anything but outstanding as well. Key is to not overload on charcoal; stick to the recommendations and let it burn all the way. When you do end up needing to replenish charcoal, take the time to empty the tray and start fresh--accumulating ash will insulate too much, since you're heat needs to go down rather than up. Best way to track temperature is with a meat probe--track how your temperature change looks over time and use that to decide on new coal or not. You'll be surprised how long that burnt looking charcoal stays very very hot.

Pig took 7 hours, and just like a regular pig roast, you really can't ruin it, so long as you don't burn the hell out of it. RIbs and shoulders went remarkably quick, like 2 hrs. Whole chickens just an hour, with one flip to crisp the breast skin at the end. I love cooking with it and it's always a great conversation piece. What you lack is smoke--you are simply roasting meat, not smoking it. But it's a neat teaching tool for how convection works. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT